DAYS: Latest SOW Cover...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I love Missy. She is the main reason I started to watch DAYS. But you have to understand this. During her first run (till 1992) Missy didn´t play Jennifer, she WAS Jennifer. The character and her actions were builded around her real personality, she literally lived through her role. That´s not true anymore. Reilly is forcing her into his plots and you can almost see she is lost, because this is something she/Jennifer would never do. She is always perfectly professional, but her heart is not in it anymore.

But anybody wh don´t understand why she is so popular needs to watch any scene between her and Matt from J/J´s hayday. It´s almost unbeliavable what these too managed when writers gave them the chance.

• Members

Now don't flame me or bash me for what I am going to say, because I love Melissa - always have and always will. But the way I judge a great actor or actress is that they can take whatever they are given - shitty or not - and turn it into gold. Look at OLTL where Erika Slezak has been given [!@#$%^&*] to work with by Higley but she runs with it and puts her full heart into it. Kassie DePaiva who's character is being assassinated plays it with all the gusto she can give. I think they should stand up for their character when they can but they still owe it to their fans to give it their best. I agree with Phoenix and others Melissa has not been doing that for awhile now. I don't see the other performers on Days giving their stuff second best either. And don't say that Melissa's stories have been worse or more supporting. All the others have taken their turns on the back burner or supporting side and they give their best every time.

I hope if Melissa's heart is not in it anymore, that she will find what she is looking for. With many soaps not hiring veterans that often because of the money required to get them, her options might be slim. But if she leaves I hope she will join another show and be happy.

• Members

I so agree Steve. That was just what I was going to type. This is not the JER thing some people make it out to be. Missy has been like this since she returned. The only exceptions where she has impressed me was in 2001 when JT fell out of the car, a few times while at the Spectator when she showed some spark, the island reunion, and this past fall when she learned Jack was dying and then the bridge scenes when they pulled his car up from the water. Other then that she looks like her heart is elsewhere. Matt has been great and so has Billy. Nonetheless, there are actors that have been getting crappy work, esepcially on Days some years, but still make it work (Martha Madison, Lauren Koslow, etc). I love J&J and Missy and Matt but I hate it when JER is the fall guy for Missy. Have J&J been burned? Yes but Missy certainly doesn;t help either. If they must recast fine maybe they can still get Matt to stay. I just hope if she does stay that she steps up a bit because she doesn't look lost-she looks like she doesn;t want to be acting IMO.

• Members

I agree. Just because your heart isn't in it anymore doesn't mean that you just stop putting any effort into it. You know? You don't just give in, phone in your performances and sleep your way through scenes. You're getting paid GOOD MONEY to do what you do. A little effort, please...

Hmm... that's interesting.

Maybe being an actress was just a young, teenage dream of hers. And now that she's grown up, got a marriage and children, she's just not interested in that dream anymore. Maybe acting is just a job now, whereas before it was a passion.

I think you might be right.

• Members

I will be very sad to see Melissa Reeves go. She still looks great after all these years, and so does Matt Ashford. My FAVORITE storyline of them will always be the Cruise of Deception. To all the newer fans, you guys really missed out on the wonderful storyline. I believe SoapNet has played a couple episodes from that storyline, once from the Olympics in '04 and then for the Bo&Hope marathon last fall.

Sadly after that, they simply became a comedy rountine for the show, even long before Reilly. Who can ever forgive the hideous "Jack is pretending to be gay" story and what not. Jack and Jennifer had great potential in the day, but somehow they have never lived up to it.

As for recasting, DOOL's has made some questionable decisions for recasts in major roles like these. Besides the multiple Jack&Jenn recasts in the 90s, Tracy Middendorf as Carrie comes to mind.

• Members

quote name='soapfan770' post='168558' date='Apr 5 2006, 12:01 AM']

I will be very sad to see Melissa Reeves go.

As for recasting, DOOL's has made some questionable decisions for recasts in major roles like these. Besides the multiple Jack&Jenn recasts in the 90s, Tracy Middendorf as Carrie comes to mind.

I agree I'll miss Melissa Reeves and will be sad to see her go just like I was the first time she left.

But as far as recasting DAYS has some good if not great recasts. Examples: Martha Madison as Belle, Kyle Brandt as Phillip, Lauren Koslow as Kate, Jason Cook as Shawn, Judi Evans as Bonnie, Julie Pinson as Billie, Rachel Melvin as Chelsea, Ashley Benson as Abby & Heather Lindell (ex-Jan). So I think DAYS has a great record of re-casts (Middendorf as Carrie was years ago and Charity Rahmer as Belle was quickly fixed.) Kristina Wagner, Noelle Beck, Sandra Ferguson & Sabryn Genet would all make for a wonderful re-cast as Jenn. My choice would be Kristina Wagner or Sandi Ferguson I think. Maybe Ferguson as Jenn, and GH would get Wagner back.

Archived