soap opera sets and set designers

• Members

Speedos on guys in soaps always looks so "Skinamax" and dumb....(I have really never seen anyone wear one in real life in public...) even if you could get away with it as GA obviously could (Phillip with his shirt off yes, Phillip in a speedo..no...) 

My favorite sets were Bob and Kim's house (consisting of living room, den, and kitchen) and how it morphed from this kind of simple house that Nick and Kim lived in, to this bigger place where people were coming in and out of all day. The traffic made no sense (with the murder rate in Oakdale wouldnt the Hughes lock their doors) but it was a great fantasy of having a center of town where people could go to when they were in trouble, or just needed to bitch about what Ole Johnny and Lucy were up to! I also loved the Bauer living room with that spanish influenced circular fireplace as I said before. Its one of the few family sets on a soap that was distinctly designed. 

Though as a kid I still remember the Karr's simple living room from Edge and of course, the Collingwood foyer and stairs from Dark Shadows..but the ultimate was the Collin's family crypt with the lions heads which had the pull coming out of the mouth and people would pull on that to find an entrance to a tunnel, a vampire's coffin, or a vortex or two. Always was jealous of gay little David Collins who got to run around the property unsupervised always.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I see guys in speedos all the time...and if you can pull it off..brava.

YR

Another set I liked was Nina's 1st apartment on YR after she became a widow.  It had an interesting staircase and I recall it being pink?

I also liked Danny and Christine's apartment when it had an elevator as the door.

Lastly, my mom when she was alive liked the Williams living room especially when Mary would lean against the fireplace mantle and sigh with worry.

AW:

I liked Tops

• Members

Speaking of speedos...  Remember the Abbott and Newman pools on Y&R

Just before Independence Day, you could always count on a pool party.  Up until the millennials of Nick's generation every guy wore a speedo.  But, the sets were always a pool deck, with no pool, just the sound effect of splashing.  B&B had a pool at the Forrester Mansion, and I wonder now, looking at the early years of the show, if they played so many scenes poolside because of the expense of building a set that could hold water.

I also recall Ian Raine in the Cory pool on AW, but that pool was so small he had to wear a speedo just to fit inside.

• Members

I wish that I could remember the living room of Bill and Bertha Bauer of The Guiding Light.     The description has perked my interest, but I cannot recall it.    I think that I will watch the episodes of Bill's funeral to see if it is shown.