Michael Fairman Interview with Mishael Morgan

• Members

https://michaelfairmantv.com/yrs-mishael-morgan-talks-amandas-gut-wrenching-scenes-with-her-mother-romance-with-devon-vice-president-kamala-harris-historic-moment/2021/01/21/

I'm rooting for Mishael in her new role. It amazes me how so many of her fans are disappointed that she's no longer Hilary and hate on Amanda and by product Mishael for it. 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That’s my thought too. We were invested in Hilary (and Hilary/Devon), and she had deep relationships with other characters (Jack, Phyllis, Mariah, et al). Amanda can’t help but feel shallow in comparison. And soaps have tried the doppelgänger remedy after realizing they fücked up by killing off a popular character. It rarely works.

• Members

Almost never, certainly in the modern age (90s-onward). And I think the only reason it mostly worked with Jacob on Loving/The City is because the show seemingly barely leaned into making him different from Jesse at all. They just let Darnell Williams and Debbi Morgan loose and played ball. They also wove in the Jesse connection very strongly from Day 1 in story, as opposed to Amanda doing... whatever.

• Members

Most people refused to give Mishael a chance as Amanda. Some are intending on hating regardless. When you throw in her fans talking negatively on top of those that despised Hilary, the distaste for the character seemed overwhelming.  I'm just glad the show stuck with her during the transition instead of dropping her. 

Whatever love, connection, and history we had with Hilary took time to develop. Amanda can develop the same just like any other character. 

Edited by ajsp35801

• Members

I’d love to be proven wrong about Amanda. It’s a bad sign that they don’t have any immediate plans for her newly introduced family, which was the first and only time Amanda really took fire. She says she’d “love to work with them again,” meaning the actors who play her mother and sister.

• Members

They have. Her family story was the best recieved story this show had had in at least a year. 

Proven wrong about what? And why is the show possibly not having any immediate plans for her family a bad sign for it? 

Granted, I think the show has something with Amanda and Imani as rivals with Naya I'm the middle mediating. I hope that's where we are heading. I won't hold my breath though. Still, there are plenty stories to tell for blank slate Amanda. 

• Members

Amanda is as viable as hilary long  term though. At least I think so. You don't? 

We don't know very much about Sharon's family either and yet she's been around for 20 something years. I don't think Amanda's family needs to be on the show to make her viable. It'd be nice though. But it's not make or break. Hilary's family wasn't on the canvas either. 

• Members

Y&R clearly cared about Sharon as a (future) lead of the show and paired with a Newman scion. And we did have her mother Doris as a consistent presence in the early years. I don’t see the same level of investment in Amanda. Hilary certainly could have been viable long term. That the show brought MM shows that Y&R knew they screwed up by killing her off. It’s harder for Amanda because she exists in Hilary’s shadow. 

One reason why I’m not optimistic is that Y&R is currently written week to week. Very few stories gain momentum. 

• Members

Seems to me the show is as committed to Amanda as a lead as they were Hilary though. I get that existing in Hilary's shadow hampers her.  But I believe that overtime, Amanda will overtake Hilary. If I can get over Hilary isn't coming back then I'm sure others can. I see a big difference in how viewers feel about the character after this current story. I wish the show would continue it. I'm hoping that TPTB saw that and picks up the thread. 

Edited by ajsp35801