Sex scenes on soaps - are they necessary?

• Members

There was huge discussion on social media around the holidays about whether sex scenes in television and film are necessary and I thought it would be interesting to discuss it where soaps are concerned. 

With Covid, obviously we aren't getting any of the love/sex scenes that we usually get - do you miss them? Do you think soaps need them? Do you think not having them is hurting any particular story/show/arc? Has it effected how much you enjoy certain couples or pairings? Has Covid changed how you view them?

What are your thoughts?

Edited by Vizion

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

LOL I don't agree with him either (movies like Unfaithful don't work without sex scenes), but specific to soaps how do you feel? Have you missed them now that Covid prevents any show from doing them?

Edited by Vizion

• Members

I haven't watched any of the soaps with any regularity in a long time, so I can't really comment on what it's like without sex scenes, but I'm just thinking of how many times an episode-long conflict between a couple was punctuated with a love scene. It's definitely one of soaps' favorite tropes, and it's just one of those things that made the genre what it was. It's not the same to just open the next episode with the couple glancing at each other and making vague comments about "last night." Let us fade to black on some heavy petting, please!

• Members

What was the first soap to show a sex scene or 2 people in bed together ? I recall seeing in one of the Doctors reruns from around 1968 or 69 where Matt & Maggie had some afternoon delight. I don't think they showed anything racy if I recall correctly. Matt was shirtless and I think Maggie was in her slip. They also showed her making up the bed after. 

I think Y&R pushed the envelope with the characters of Snapper Foster and Lorie Brooks in the 70's

• Members

I guess it depends on why fans watch. Some do for fantasy and sex can definitely be apart of that fantasy.

However, sex scenes can be unnecessary when their are other intimacies such as kissing, hugging, and touching. I've noticed fans on FB complaining about the lack of that than sex scenes. 

• Members

Sex scenes on soaps are usually so lame that I'd rather not see them. Maybe just the beginning and aftermath and not two actors writhing around trying to keep sheets in place. Or worse when they are partially clothed.

How many movies/TV shows do you see where the lovers get out of bed  and the men are in underwear and women in some sort of lingerie? 

• Members

Pretty much cheating stories are useless without the sex scenes. They are needed to show, amplify and viscerally feel the betrayal. Love stories also would be underserved by removing them. You are only showing part of the relationship. You won't be able to really see how well these two characters "fit" one another, without understanding their chemistry and how that informs the passion they feel for each other.

I get what the tweet is trying to say, but I feel they are kind of missing the point. Gratuitous sex just for the sake of it, is useless and meaningless. But when it's done right it can amplify a story, enhance the dramatic stakes and really resonate a love story.  

Edited by Skin

• Members

That's a good point. One of the reasons the John and Marlena affair was so successful in my mind was because of the sex scene on the plane while everyone else was gathered at the house to celebrate Roman and Marlena's anniversary.

• Members

Sex scene =/= implied sex. The Nick and Phyllis affair was hot without ever seeing them fcuk. Yeah, they made out and that was very intense but it's not like anyone was spread eagle. Make out then fade to black. That's it.

I'm pretty sure that tweet is referring largely to graphic sex, which typically seem to exist solely for an actress to expose her breasts. Scenes with a topless female character largely DON'T add anything to the story. You can tell me all day that those scenes of random women without any tops on GOT was part of the fabric of the universe building but...naaah. It was gratuitous titillation. A lot of sex scenes are just that, a time filler and an easy way to signify the "maturity" of a story.

• Members

I think John and Marlena probably had enough history and chemistry to make it work with just a make out and fade to black, but something about how illicit it was (sex on a plane, a conference table lol) made it that much more desperate and real.  Plus, if Sami just saw them make out, what would she have complained about for the next 25 years lol?  It was necessary for the story in that case.

But do I need to see couples having a love scene just cause?  No, not really.  Ciara/Ben are a couple that spent days in bed doing nothing else and I certainly would have rather watched anything else.  It wasn't advancing the plot in any way.