Y&R 1989 - Scott and Cricket

• Members

Let's just say I got to revisit some storylines from Y&R 1989...and there was one, that stands out to me - when Cricket Blair and Dr. Scott Grainger fell in love with one another, and developed a romance to the point they even kissed! And then come to find out they are half-siblings! Was this a storyline created, not only to re-introduce Lauralee Bell as Cricket as the show's premiere ingénue, BUT to appeal to the base of teenage girls who LOVED V.C. Andrews novels, for them to then tune in in droves? I mean, some of the discussion after the two characters learned they were related was surreal like Scott upset that he couldn't continue to romantically pursue Cricket, and how she was the perfect girl for him and it just wasn't fair. And how Cricket was cool with it, even though you've seen more horrified reactions like Fallon and Adam on "DYNASTY", or Lily Slater's ordeal on "LOVING". I kept screaming at Scott "surrender the fantasy, dude!" For most men, it would be a major boner kill to mistakenly fall for their female (or maybe male) sibling, but for the character of Scott it was something else - no wonder he was attracted to Sheila Carter! Anyone have thoughts who watched the show around this time? I won't lie, even despite the extreme soapiness of the near incest story, all of the nuance and character psychology I saw from that year of Y&R was more compelling than anything now.   

Edited by Lust4Life76

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

1989 was the era where Cricket had 4 guys after her (even a soap opera digest had a cover featuring this) while poor Nina had to scheme to get a guy.  I don't blame Terry Lester for quitting because Bill Bell did prop Cricket at the expense of other characters.  

With that said, it was an interesting twist..and led him to go for Lauren and than Sheila.  Oddly, he did look down on both for not living up to his standards...and it was a shame Bell didn't have it be Scott's attempt to cope with the loss of Cricket by wanting to change the woman he was with to be like her.

Cricket didn't care cause she had other contenders for her affection.

• Members

So I am trying to think who Cricket all else had...was it Phillip, Chase, Danny and Skip? In one episode they did have Cricket during a modeling session strike a pose to the song "Thank Heaven For Little Girls", from GIGI. It was so 'daddy' inspired, lol...so I do see your point as to why Terry Lester felt the way he did, who by the way was tremendous as Jack Abbot. And I have to say for as many key actors/memorable parts "Y&R" had to recast...Jill, David, Jack, Ashley...the recasts were each bulls eyes. Oh my God, Nina...the drama over getting her to sign a prenup between Jill and Kay was more compelling than any big special effect stunt story say "General Hospital's" blowing up the metro court. 

Edited by Lust4Life76

• Members

I’m sure Skip was still with Carole at that stage. Yeah I think Derek was the fourth one.

I didn’t think David was a recast - Michael Corbett played him the whole time, even when he did have his “killer” plastic surgery later on.

• Members

Yeah Drew Pilsbury came on in April 1986 and last appeared around Sep/Oct 1986. He left and took a role in the Madonna/Griffin Dunne flick 'Who's That Girl' called Slammer at that time, production began in New York in October 1986. Screenshot of him below from his first day on Y&R when Jill hires him.

Corbett didn't air until Brenda came back from vacation. In the story it was during the custody trial in Jan 1987, when the judge calls a recess, Jill let's Phillip stay at her hotel suite while she is doing business. She returned the last week of Jan. So likely Corbett debuted in early Feb 1987. Article below is from Feb 28, 1987

Please register in order to view this content