Lovecraft Country

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I’ve been a fan of hers since Eve’s Bayou so I watch anything she’s in, I don’t think I can get worn out from her haha... actually, it’s because of her that I learned about this series existing in the first place. Her and the fact that Jordan Peele is attached gives me hope, JJ Abrams not so much but we’ll see.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

WOW. I finally finished the first episode and that was a good pilot. I love this trio of the uncle, the vet, and the vixen. She's easily my favorite, but I have a soft spot for the uncle and was scared there for a moment.

I jumped a few times.

And that sundown town is so true since there are STILL towns like that in the South to this day.

And how it ended? Deliciously creepy. I'm onward to Episode 2.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

@ChitHappens DONE!!! As I was watching the finale, I went 'this is like the new TRUE BLOOD' given how it ended...a girl (with an awesome robot arm) and her Lovecraftian pet. hehe.

But that will have to get a rewatch someday. It gave me so much to think about and chew on.

And Lord...the gore...so much gore...lol.

I just wish that Jurnee's character had been kept tough, though I loved the layers she was given and that last fight with 'the double' was great.

• Members

The last eppy was absolute TRASH!  I have been dying to say that.  

The treatment of Ruby was despicable.  But then I remember tv does not value dark skin characters.  It's even more shameful when this type of discrimination comes from black producers.  Colorism is very real!

The series was excellent until the finale.  I don't need a s2 but I'd love for a spinoff with Hippolyta (Anjanue Ellies) and any project Wunmi Mosaku (Ruby) does, I'm in.  

• Members

See @ChitHappens you are going to make me go back. I guess I looked down at the wrong moment. I was wondering if Ms. Witch was clever enough to figure out what Ruby was up to. And I should have saw it coming with the twist, but I was still as shocked as Leti when she realized it. But...does that mean Ruby is dead then? Because there was so much complexity between her and La Witch and I would hate to not see that. 

Speaking of complexity, that episode with Hippolyta and Josephine Baker was easily my favorite. Just what it was. And what it really represented and said about black identity and how she came back 200 years later and with blue hair to boot (I love blue hair, have had blue hair BEFORE it was cool, and will have it again before I die TRUST) was just...a statement that I took to heart. And I want more of that, being who you want and whatever you want, no matter your skin color...just such a powerful message there. And using cues from things that are familiar to me from my childhood it just resonated so much to me. And I loved she passed that on to her daughter...robot arm, Lovecraft beast as a pet. lol.

Yeah...I liked Anjanue Ellies. A quiet strength about her and then there was a fire to her too. She played them soooo well. I can say that about Wunmi Mosaku as well. So hope she is not dead since there's still so much to play and explore between Leti and Ruby.

See...now I'm going to have to go and look again to be sure Ruby made it out again. I honestly can't remember. Ugh.

• Members

Yeah. 

As soon as I typed it, I thought that. It has taken me this long to get time (and good internet) to reply. My apologies.

I definitely hope it is a case of misdirection on that witch's part. I know she would feel betrayed, but she genuinely seem to care about Ruby. So I don't see her killing her and will be shocked if next season comes around and they do just that. 

Then again, I loved Uncle George and was annoyed at what they did after Episode 2 because he, Tic, and Leti were a great combo. It reminded me of SLIDERS where the original team was all unique and brought a fresh perspective due to how they were all different from each other at the same time.