Look into the past - 1975

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I wonder how much real life eg actors choosing to leave affected Bill's story plans. He may have another scenario planned for Phillip or maybe not.

Donnelly/Phillip wasn't even on 2 years so unless he signed a short term contract it looks like Bill's decision to kill him off.

• Members

So i wonder what happened last for the Henderson's? Doesn't seem like they we're ever brought up after leaving for good, we never heard Liz talking about them or Lorie i guess but then again i didn't see any episodes after so who knows.

Doesn't lance come on board soon or is that in December of 75, i always thought it was abit earlier then that 

that's true the phillip chara her wasn't on very long because i assume he started appearing when Katherine did and we all know that's late 73 and then he passed in 75.

I wonder who else jill had interactions with, it seems like she just got intertwined with the chancellor story and that is history for her lol.

• Members

Yes i cant wait until we get to Peggy rape story cause i know for us to see it now would have soo much layers that we all could have missed, was the rape story and jack curtis/joann/Katherine stuff all the same time period?

If im correct was it chris who was raped in 73 or 74 and did her rape have anything to do with Peggy rape later?

Was Stuart more like john abbot in his days, i kind of get the feeling that bill sort of kept the same type of older men patriarch.

• Members

Chris was involved with the Peggy's rape due to her involvement with Peggy's rapist Ron Becker and his family.

Stuart and John both got involved with Jill so that says something. To me they were both kind of uptight guys who supposedly were strong but really quite ineffectual.

• Members

That was me who suggested that perhaps Bill Bell's original intention was to kill-off Kay Chancellor, and have Phillip become involved in a triangle with Jill and Lorie.   But that's only an assumption on my part.  The reason I assumed it is that Bell went to the trouble of firing one actor (Jon Considine) and hiring another (Donnelly Rhodes) to get the "right" Phillip, as though Phillip was the "important" character in the storyline.  Jeanne Cooper said in an interview that she was "only supposed to be around for a couple of years".  From that, I drew the conclusion that when he wrote down the story projection, Bill Bell might've intended to dispose of Kay pretty quickly and keep Phillip.  But by the time the whole thing started hitting the screen in late 1973 and early 1974, it was pretty clear that the Kay character, with her smoking and drinking and self-pity, was the character that the audience genuinely responded to, felt sorry for, and often hated. 

As for the Henderson family, I believe there were supposed to be TWO boys in the family --- Mark and Russell.   Some daytime magazine had an article about how Y&R was casting the roles of "Mark and Russell Henderson, the sons of Bruce and Regina Henderson".  I don't believe Russell ever made it onto the screen.   As the process moved along, Bell evidently decided that he'd rather concentrate more on Jill, Brock, Phillip and Kay, and less on the Henderson family.      

• Members

I suspect you are probably right about that.

Jon-Michael Reed did report Jeanne was apparently due to be axed when Kay jumped over board from a cruise ship in September 1980. But fan response to her character changed minds about it. Jeanne also reported in a 1981 interview that after Derek and Douglas were shipped off, she spent 6 weeks off screen. 

Yes I just saw an article that mentioned Mark and Russell. I also found the below article from the Los Angeles Times May 2, 1973, which seems to confirm Bruce's arrival most likely happened in May/Jun when Liz may have had her cancer scare. I assume the Jennifer/Bruce connection began on the show here too. As Bryna Laub has synopsis in early 74 that states Bruce hopes Jennifer can stay in Chicago longer as she did last summer. I suspect also that Jennifer and Bruce met up in the Autumn/Fall of 73 too when Leslie was on tour. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I can remember THREE mysterious hiatuses that Jeanne Cooper had from the show during the early to mid 1980s.   The first one is the one described above --- immediately after the conclusion of the Felipe Ramariez storyline, which had begun in the autumn of 1980.   Her absence occurred something like April - June of 1981.   She came back from her "island adventure" with Felipe, checked with Victor Newman to make sure Chancellor Industries was running smoothly, ditched Douglas, ditched Derek, then just disappeared from the canvas for what seemed like MONTHS, though maybe it was only six weeks.   Then one day in the summertime, an episode of the show randomly opened with Kay Chancellor staring in the living room mirror at the lines in her face, talking aloud to herself about her drinking and smoking, her hatred of Jill, the death of Gary Reynolds, the death of Phillip Chancellor, and her divorce from Derek Thurston.   She decided life would be simpler if she simply "hired" a boyfriend.  So she contacted Jerry Cashman, he came by and "serviced" her, she gave him a check, and they ultimately began a relationship.   I remember that scene so vividly --- the one in front of the mirror in about June of 1981 --- because she'd been missing in action for so long with no real explanation, and then she reappeared in a brand new storyline without a word about where she'd been.  (I never knew if Jeanne Cooper had been in rehab, or if she'd simply taken a long vacation.)

The second hiatus occurred a few months later, in the late summer of that same year (1981).  Kay's storyline with Cash was in full swing.   He was "servicing" Kay, she was paying him, but she was developing feelings for him.   Meanwhile,  Leslie Brooks was supposed to play in a concert in London for the royal wedding of Prince Charles & Diana.  It was established that Leslie would be going, Lorie would be going, the Fake Lance would be going, and Stuart and Liz Brooks would be going.  The only problem was that Liz didn't know what to wear.  She didn't know which dress would be appropriate.  Some famous designer was at the Brooks house -- seems like it was "Mister Blackwell" --- and he was showing Liz all these designer gowns, which had Liz bewildered and flustered, because she wasn't accustomed to fancy clothes.  So she called Kay and asked Kay to come help her choose a dress.  Mrs. Chancellor swept in and selected the dress.  Lorie and Leslie began shrieking that Kay should go to London too.  Kay had an invitation from the Queen or something and had about decided not to go, but since the Brooks family asked her to go, she decided she would --- provided Cash would go with her.   Which turned out to be a big ordeal because she just "summoned" Cash to accompany her --- instead of asking him nicely --- which wounded his pride.  I couldn't quite figure that out, since he was a prostitute after all, and they're not known for having much pride.  But anyway, Kay and Cash went to London to see Leslie's concert.   After the concert was over, when it was time to return to Genoa City, Kay broke the news to Cash that he would be returning ALONE, because she'd made the decision to meet with a plastic surgeon in Zurich, Switzerland about possibly getting a facelift.  This all just came out of nowhere (the revelation that she wanted a facelift to look younger for Cash's benefit).  He told her it wasn't necessary to meet with the plastic surgeon, but she insisted that she had an appointment and intended to keep it.   So Cash went home to Nikki and the Bayou all alone, and we didn't see Kay Chancellor for weeks.  Finally one day later in the fall, Kay came sweeping back in --- with no further mention at all of the plastic surgeon --- and the story evolved into Kay making Liz go with her to the strip club to watch Cash dance (which embarrassed Liz to death), then it turned out Cash owed a guy named Smiley some money for a gambling debt, and Kay gave Smiley her fur coat and some diamonds then called the police and reported them stolen, and Smiley and his friends stabbed Cash, and suddenly Nikki and Kay were grief-stricken best friends when Cash died.  (I never had a CLUE why Jeanne Cooper had disappeared for several weeks in the mysterious "Zurich face lift" storyline.  Maybe that was another quick trip to rehab; maybe it was another vacation; or maybe she was really considering having a facelift, as three years later, she finally did do it, and on the air at that.) 

Her third disappearance was in the summertime of either 1985 or 1986.   "Due to illness, the role of Kay Chancellor is now being played by Giselle Mackenzie", the announcer said solemnly at the beginning of an episode during the Phillip Chancellor III storyline.   That went on for several episodes.  Giselle subbed for Jeanne Cooper and said all of Kay Chancellor's lines, but she said the lines softly and sweetly, and it didn't seem anything at all like Kay.    Then suddenly Giselle announced to Brock and Esther that she needed to leave town for a while, packed her bags, left immediately, and they just shrugged and said, "Bye, Duchess.  Bye, Mrs. C."  And then a few weeks later, she swept back in, this time as Jeanne Cooper.  (Never had a clue what happened there, but I expect she was either VERY SICK, or else that was a trip to rehab.)