The Media/Journalism Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I don't know if this will end up happening, but it will be interesting if it does. If Twitter does shut down, I do wonder where various posters will end up migrating to. A lot of us know how active places like Facebook and My Space use to be pre-Twitter. I wonder if they will get a big bump from a possible Twitter exodus. I could also see a lot more people going on Instagram. Its layout resembles Twitter a bit closer than other social media sites do. There are other sites as well that people could use. I am seeing quite a few people say they are trying to join a social media site called Mastodon. (This is the first I've heard of this site). But some are saying it's difficult to join and that you have to choose servers for it.

Edited by xtr

• Members

JMO but social media will splinter. It’s gonna be a long time before you see the type of mass gathering platform that draws various factions and political persuasions to the same platform. Many people have complained about Mastodon being decentralized and uninviting because it is not a big tent, comprehensive platform but that might be the more sensible way to be going forward. People control their own mini-platforms, where they set the rules and where those who can’t or won’t abide by those standards, won’t be allowed on, or allowed to stay. Minimizing trolling and all that antagonistic behavior.

Also, there’s always message boards.

• Members

As happy as I am to see Twitter potentially go on many levels, I think in the short term at least the effect on both political/corporate activism and media criticism will be negative. Things like the Ukrainian resistance, the Arab Spring, BLM, #MeToo, etc. could never have reached so many nationwide or worldwide and demanded notice and action from the powerful, or connected to parts of the world that might have had no real idea, without the platform of Twitter. Activists, freedom fighters, could not so easily have communicated or reached a wider audience. China and Russia, American law enforcement or corporate media in America, would not face the constant pressures they do, and Trump, etc. here would not be facing such strong headwinds against them today.

I would love to keep the good and leave the toxic, but that's not how human nature works; you always get both. I can only hope that what comes next will still find an easy way for people to connect and challenge injustice.

Edited by Vee

• Members

There are no easy ways, that’s the entire point. Twitter was very good at amplifying social justice issues but there were never any guarantees that it would last. And in the past few years, it was being amplified and used by the likes of the Saudis, Chinese, Russians and other repressive governments.
There were ways that social justice groups communicated before Twitter and there will be ways again, regardless of what happens to Twitter. It’s sad to see what has happened to such a promising platform but that is why I never got fully attached to it. I could see the harassment, the doxxing, the misinformation and maybe that’s why I could never get too invested. 

• Members

Yeah, it may be a bit before we see that type of social media site again. Some of the others like Instagram have some of the same elements of Twitter, but it's still not the same. They don't have that super and easy quick access to a lot of personal/professional posts at their fingertips the way that people have with Twitter. I am interested in seeing where people settle for the time being, before the next site like Twitter is created. 

I have hardly posted on Twitter the past few months. But I have been signed up for it for a long time, since 2009. I've been there for most of its duration, and I've definitely seen a lot of the very best and very worst of Twitter. I can remember when it had a very small amount of people posting up there. And it was overall a fun place to post for people with different interests. As well as an opportunity to interact with celebrities from time to time. I remember my first taste of heavy toxicity when Twitter users got an insulting hashtag to trend regarding an American Idol Contestant that I liked. (And that actually happened early on after I joined Twitter). That was pretty ugly and was the first glimpse I got of how toxic Twitter can be. Then it just continued to go downhill in the following years. But in spite of the ugliness, I am glad of the good that has come from it. And the awareness it has brought to important issues. Maybe at least some of the good will continue to happen on other platforms.

Edited by xtr

• Members

People are engaging in a type of ‘gallows humor’, musing about meeting up on AIM and ICQ, it’s amusing but it’s also a reminder that there is always the possibility of yet another innovation replacing what was once the hottest form of communication and media.

As most of us on here are soap fans, we know all too well how possible it is for one form of media to supplant another, even one that has been a steady presence for decades. It is a harsh reality.

Another reality is that behind all this change and upheaval, there are usually stories of hubris and greed that belie that chaos.