Best US Soap Scenes

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

This is one of the first big soap moments I saw. I didn't know at the time that Ellen Dolan had only been in the role six months. I barely knew the characters or their history. All I knew was how moved I was by this scene.

A scene that epitomizes the best of Claire Labine and Paul Avila Mayer. Nell, who had always put her husband Seneca first,, had abruptly left him to push forward with her career. No one knew that the real reason was a brain aneurysm that could kill her at any moment. Nell's anger and deep sense of hurt came to the fore when she nearly died after one of her aneurysms burst. The near escape from death gave her inner peace...and finally, the ability to accept that she knew she would soon die, with the only important decision being that she die the way that she wanted to die. She explains why in a monologue which starts out as warm and slowly, slowly draws you in to the brutal, cold truth.

I go back to these scenes whenever I see actors on soaps (or anywhere) doing a terrible job of playing drunk. Linda Dano said to play the pain, and boy does she do that. These scenes are incredibly raw, in a way that Another World understood while so many soaps never quite managed it. The scenes where she begs God to help her sober up and the scene where she screams and cries over the phone that she can't do anything because she's drunk - Linda Dano deserved to have that Emmy renamed in her honor.

(Alla Korot is also very good)

These scenes were already posted on another page - sorry!

Edited by DRW50

• Members

The amount of Linda Dano in this thread makes me think that she’s somehow underrated in the larger world. But she does loom large. I wasn’t even that big of an AW fan (in STL, it came on at the same time as OLTL, which I watched, and ATWT, which my mom watched), but she drew me in. I loved her and Alicia Coppola together.

• Members

On the one hand, she won an Emmy, appeared in primetime from her soap fame, had a successful line on QVC for years, so I shouldn't say she's underrated, but I think the mostly poor run she had on OLTL gives that impression. She didn't get to go out on a high. 

• Members

Sarah Felder was a life force as Siobhan Ryan, and I don't think this was ever better showcased than in her scenes with Michael Levin's Jack. Jack was Siobhan's brother-in-law, but their close bond combined with his deep marital problems with wife Mary meant that line blurred very deeply.

(the scenes are near the end of this episode - when her husband-to-be's mob ties start to come to the fore...Felder is just phenomenal here)

The next episode has some very strong scenes between Jack and Mary as she finally begins to understand the emotional affair that went on when she wasn't around to notice.

This is the episode where Mary confronts Siobhan about these feelings (the scenes are near the end of the episode).

Does @Wendy know if that fantastic Elena/Eden confrontation (the one when Eden finally slaps her) is still around in any compilation videos? I wanted to post it as it's such a standout scene. 

One thing about Santa Barbara, especially in the Dobson years, is how many superb individual scenes they had. And that one is a doozy, because on the surface Elena is strong and Eden is weak (through being crippled), but really, Elena is so, so broken inside.

• Members

Oh, that damn puzzle box, lol.  I couldn't WAIT for that plot device to disappear.  At the very least, I felt it would have served everyone right if someone other than Hope had been able to open it.  ("Could it be...?  John...is Hope?")

• Members

Not on YT, but I think I saw that puzzle box scene (since seeing it in '95) either on Vimeo or Dailymotion, but it looks like it got taken down. But someone on Twitter posted it! Me? I loved the scene as I love Bo/Hope. Suck it, Billie.

Edited by Wendy

• Members

AMC: Tom confronts Erica in regards to her secretly taking birth control pills, 1979. Begins at about 7:30 in the first clip and continues in the second

Classic Erica. Lies on top of lies, yet she keeps her composure through it all, and when she's finally backed up into a corner and can lie no more, boom bitch, it's all your fault, Tom! No one else played pissed off at Erica better than Richard Shoberg.

Edited by All My Shadows