Former Y&R actress passes away

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My sentiments exactly.

She also gave a very memorable performance in The Joy Luck Club.  

Y&R tweets about the actress but wants to pretend that the character, her son Keemo and her daughter never existed upon Bergman's insistence.  Why does Y&R let themselves get bossed by the actors?

May Ms. Sung R.I.P.

• Members

Whatever the cast's differences with each other and other issues, they all seemed united and firm in their respect for Bill Bell. (With the possible exception of Terry Lester, but I read that they later resolved their issues.) There just doesn't seem to be anyone who has followed him that commands that kind of respect.

• Members

I think that the current ratings and soap climate has eliminated any power these actors once had to dictate story.  Unfair practices are different than this isn’t  how my character would act or I hate this pairing.  I think JFP was the last remaining EP that truly let actors dictate and participate heavily in story.

Frank wants his his pets to be a focus so they are.  But I think that comes from him at this point, not the talent.

DAYS can’t really due to their production model.

B&B does what Brad wants, for better or worse.

Y&R- From what I can tell the big problems there calmed way down once shows started getting cancelled left and right and their numbers started dropping fast.  I don’t know if they like Mal so much or if they are just done fighting with the storytelling choices after MAB, Pratt, SSM, and now Mal.

• Members

Up until last year, PB was still moaning about how bad he thought the Luan/Keemo storyline was. 

I gather he couldn't screw the courage to say this to Bill Bell's face. 

There are other writers who did command the type of respect and regard that Bell did. Y&R just didn't hire any of them. Now, almost none are writing daytime, others have passed away.

• Members

I thought Luan was a very special character and that was because of Sung, who was an intelligent, nuanced actress with great poise. That whole story meant a lot to me at the time - it was very delicate, and the type of plot that we didn't get very often by that time on soaps.

I used to credit Bergman as well for their chemistry, but he has made it very clear that he does not want any credit, and did not give a damn. As I don't give a damn about him either, I am happy to give every last bit of credit to Elizabeth Sung.

I'm so sorry to hear she's gone but I thank her for what she gave us.

• Members

I loved Luan and Keemo when they were on originally.  There was so much angst to play because Keemo had accidently been left behind in Vietnam while Luan had come over to the states where she remarried and had a daughter.  I don't remember much about the daughter, but I do remember she was the peacemaker between Luan and Keemo.

Luan/Jack had good chemistry.. as did Jack/Mari Jo... and oddly enough Mari Jo was actually nice (well nice for Mari Jo that is) to Luan.. and the two were rivals yet also respected one another.

The mid 90s were an interesting time on the show... and this story was one of the reasons.. and I think it was due to Elizabeth Sung.. who could be warm, fragile, and tough as nails.  And I loved her in the Joy Luck Club as well.

Archived