Last Man Standing

KMan101

• Members

Welp. It's official. FOX has picked up Tim Allen's Last Man Standing. ABC was beyond dumb, from a ratings perspective, in cancelling it. I get the 'finances' of it all but it was a massive mistake.

I know fans on Twitter are having spasms that the single-cam comedies are all going extinct on FOX but I think it was time for FOX to move on from those for a while. They'll never be the massive hits anyone wants them to be. They belong on cable or online streaming. NBC needs to move on from them as well.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think people are more upset over the sitcoms in question than their being single-cam. That and the sitcoms which had a lot of diversity essentially being dumped in favor of Tim Allen doing his perpetually martyred right wing routine.

• Members

Just some tweets from Todd VanDerWerff, Vox TV writer, about LMS. There’s a lot of uncertainty at Fox now because it’s not part of the Disney acquisition and may need to stand on its own independent entity without any production arm.

• Members

13 episodes and done, ideally. Tim's never had the "What will he do next?" factor of Roseanne.

I'm probably grasping at straws here, but part of me feels like Designated Survivor was so appealing in 2016 because of the principle of "Yeah, a political outsider in charge! That's awesome!" It's gone now because less people feel that way?

• Members

Well, I get those sitcoms have stans. But I'm proud of FOX for cleaning house and dumping them. I think they're vastly overrated. I'm glad Brooklyn Nine-Nine fans can shut up now that their beloved has been saved by NBC. Where we can repeat the process again next year when they cancel it again. These shows are just niche. They're not bad. But they don't belong on network television. Certain dramas don't either. FOX has had a lot of dead weight on it's schedule for years now. Time to cut the fat and move on.

Last Man Standing wasn't why those shows were cancelled. Thursday Night Football on FOX was. I know the stans want to blame LMS but no reason say LMS and Brooklyn Nine-Nine couldn't co-exist.

I get FOX is a little worried about the future because of the Disney thing, and I know "in house" is a bigger deal now but they can still license shows. They may not want to. But reality and sports aren't the answer. We'll be back to the 2000s on FOX. Some meh multi-cams, stupid reality programs and NFL ON FOX.

I'm a Trump hating democrat but I like Tim Allen and Last Man Standing and I can separate politics from TV shows. I really dislike though how he made it political over the cancellation but it worked and it riled the fans up. It was never about politics (ABC wasn't making any money off of an aging 6 year old sitcom they didn't own - which, ironically is where FOX could find themselves next year). If it were, Roseanne wouldn't be on the air.

• Members

I had some conservative friends and family saying that LMS was dropped from ABC because it was conservative.. but I pointed out that LMS was cancelled at the same time as the the Real McNeals.. which was about a gay teen as a lead character.  So obviously it wasn't politics.  Then I pointed out that CMT was going to air LMS until they ran into the same issue with cost being too high and dropped plans to air it (they picked up Nashville from ABC.. and it actually improved that show from what I hear).  Anytime I present this information.. they all shut up and change the subject.

• Members

I tried to watch this show a few times once because my old 90's crush, JTT was appearing.  It was the most excruciating half-hour of TV that I had to bear in a long time.  I remember looking at the clock thinking it was almost over and it was only 8 minutes in.  

• Members

Yeah, it's pretty pathetic to turn it into a political angle. ABC was running it at a loss. No profit = no sense in sustaining it. But by all means, let's make it into "the evil liberal media" keeping the Repubs down. No one gave a flying f*ck about this sitcom until it was cancelled. Most people had no idea Tim Allen was back on television. 

• Members

Yep. Because deep down we all know it has nothing to do with politics. But for some reason everything now has to be politicized. Sigh.

Exactly.

The back and forth political war mudslinging from both sides is beyond tired at this point (and I'm talking about more than LMS). It seems like people have forgotten how to be human beings first and politics second. Sigh. It's become a "you're either with us or against us" and it soooo shouldn't be like that. Sigh, again. I hate politics. (Obviously not everyone acts like that, lol, but it just feels beyond divisive at this point and we're wasting so much time and energy when if we all worked together, things could actually get done ...)

Anywho ... sorry to turn it into a rant against politics, lol

• 4 months later...

Archived