Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

cct

• Members

I know. What about Kevin Spacey?

I feel terrible for him (and Corey Haim, God rest him). Why is there a statute of limitations on sexual crimes? I know that there's no statute of limitations on murder, but sex crimes are a type of murder in and of themselves. Innocence, trust and safety have been destroyed - sometimes forever - and for perpetrators to get away with it and continue to prey on others is inexcusable. The laws need to be changed...and maybe this huge scandal will be a catalyst toward that end. I hope and pray that it will.

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Will Kevin Spacey (or his career) ever recover?

Look, it's one thing to be a drug addict or alcoholic who wrecks his career through his addictions.  The list of actors who have come close, only to emerge healthy and whole and with their careers back on track, is long.  That's because Hollywood, as well as most audiences in this country, are forgiving folks.  But pedophilia...?  That might be the proverbial bridge too far.

Even if KS were to seek treatment, come forward with all sorts of admissions and apologies, and appear truly remorseful about everything he's done, I don't know whether many audience members would be willing to sit through another performance of his, or whether many producers, directors and actors would be willing to work with him on their projects, stage OR screen.

IOW: anything is possible...I guess...especially in an industry that keeps the likes of Woody Allen and Roman Polanski employed.  Nevertheless, I wouldn't put money on KS' reaching again the heights he had scaled before all hell broke loose.

Edited by Khan

• Members

@Khan, you bring up very good points. With pedophilia, even though he went on trial twice and was never convicted...why did Michael Jackson still have such a huge and enduring fan base worldwide? If he was truly innocent, why did he pay people off? I guess I just don't get why Michael Jackson remained so admired during and after those scandals. Is it because he remained so childlike all his life while people like Kevin Spacey come across as menacing?

• Members

Simple.  It's the same reason (sort of) why 75 million people are ready to run off a cliff for a certain White supremacist (and admitted sexual predator) who now runs this country.  At a certain point, people like MJ and Donald Trump stop being mere celebrities to people and start being more like messianic (sp?) figures, able to persuade others into believing whatever they want you to believe.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Yes, and I believe that Michael Jackson was a groomer while people like Kevin Spacey wanted it and wanted it NOW!! I'm glad Sandra Dee isn't here now to see what became of Spacey. She and her son, Dodd, helped him bring his movie about Bobby Darin (Beyond the Sea) to fruition. Sandra was molested for several years as a child by her stepfather, which eventually led her into depression, anorexia and alcoholism. I'm sure she would have felt deeply betrayed.

• Members

Reading some of the comments at Deadline it sounds like this was an open secret for a good while. If it's true then it's a shame he was able to get away with it for so long.

They also mentioned this guy. Have you heard of him?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jtes/dc-comics-editor-eddie-berganza-sexual-harassment?utm_term=.unajW1GAN#.smVM61LG9

• Members

Friends,

I'm writing to respond to the accusations made by Scott R. Brunton. I want to assure you all that I am as shocked and bewildered at these claims as you must feel reading them.

The events he describes back in the 1980s simply did not occur, and I do not know why he has claimed them now. I have wracked my brain to ask if I remember Mr. Brunton, and I cannot say I do. But I do take these claims very seriously, and I wanted to provide my response thoughtfully and not outof the moment.

Right now it is a he said / he said situation, over alleged events nearly 40 years ago. But those that know me understand that non-consensual acts are so antithetical to my values and my practices, the very idea that someone would accuse me of this is quite personally painful.

Brad, who is 100 percent beside me on this, as my life partner of more than 30 years and now my husband, stands fully by my side. I cannot tell you how vital it has been to have his unwavering support and love in these difficult times.

Thanks to many of you for all the kind words and trust. It means so much to us.

Yours in gratitude,

George

• Members

Oh, yes. That story's been around awhile too. At one point they attempted to insulate him by saying he couldn't work with any women (but still didn't fire him). Only a handful of creators, like the guy who wrote Wonder Woman for years, flatly refused to work with him. DC sheltering him for years is outrageous.

• Members

Days after defending his son, Harry, who had come forward with a story about how Kevin Spacey tried to force himself on him, Richard Dreyfuss gets hits with a sexual harassment allegation of his own.

I tell you, I'm starting to feel like we're all trapped inside a Franz Kafka novel.

Also: IDK if this has been posted already (because, heck, can we really keep track anymore?), but Eva LaRue (ex-Maria, AMC) was sexually harassed by Steven "Hard to Kill" Seagal.

Edited by Khan