Jump to content
Dax7000

Soap Opera Pet Peeves

Recommended Posts

DeeeDee   

Bell largely abandoned rape as a plot device in his later years.

 

Other than Cricket & Drucilla most of his other leading women escaped that particular misogynistic cliche fairly unscathed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, kalbir said:

 

Bill Bell wrote a good number of rape storylines over three shows: Laura Horton (I think), Chris Brooks, Peggy Brooks, Caroline Spencer, Cricket Blair.

And Cricket's was especially brutal for the time if I remember correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mango   

A couple of phone related pet peeves and probably just nitpicky on my part:

 

- People rarely say goodbye. They just seem to hang up, usually abruptly. It was more dramatic in the days of flip phones.

- I've noticed this a lot on Y&R, when talking on their (presumably) iPhones, you see them on the home screen without an active call.

- Showing the text message on the screen in a speech bubble rather than just doing a close-up of the phone. Remember when Victor sent Hillary a thumbs up after she aired the parkade footage? I really liked that.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, kalbir said:

 

Bill Bell wrote a good number of rape storylines over three shows: Laura Horton (I think), Chris Brooks, Peggy Brooks, Caroline Spencer, Cricket Blair.

Did any one of those female characters have a rape as brutally depicted as Eden Capwell's rape?

 

BTW, a female Facebook friend of mine believes that more male characters on Santa Barbara should've been held accountable for their actions.  She would have liked for Dr. Zach Kelton to go on trial for Eden's rape.  Also, the friend would have liked for Peter Flint to go on trial for his crimes.  She feels that even relatively good characters such as Cruz Castillo and Cain Garver should've been held accountable for their actions.

Edited by GSGfan2017
Tense error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SFK   
8 hours ago, mango said:

A couple of phone related pet peeves and probably just nitpicky on my part:

 

- People rarely say goodbye. They just seem to hang up, usually abruptly. It was more dramatic in the days of flip phones.

- I've noticed this a lot on Y&R, when talking on their (presumably) iPhones, you see them on the home screen without an active call.

- Showing the text message on the screen in a speech bubble rather than just doing a close-up of the phone. Remember when Victor sent Hillary a thumbs up after she aired the parkade footage? I really liked that.

 

 

 

I would love to see a woman pull off her clip-on before answering her smartphone.  I miss that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody ever watches TV, unless it's for a plot point and then some big ass TV will be oddly positioned on  the set for that purpose.

 

It would be much more natural to have a character watching TV (some generic background voice/music) and then hit mute/off when the phone call/visitor arrives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
juppiter   
19 hours ago, Paul Raven said:

Nobody ever watches TV, unless it's for a plot point and then some big ass TV will be oddly positioned on  the set for that purpose.

 

It would be much more natural to have a character watching TV (some generic background voice/music) and then hit mute/off when the phone call/visitor arrives.

 

Subverted once on ATWT when Mitzi was watching Guiding Light. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mango   
21 hours ago, SFK said:

 

I would love to see a woman pull off her clip-on before answering her smartphone.  I miss that. 

 

Me, too. Lucinda Walsh was very good at that. I also remember a few instances of Nikki doing that at the ranch during the early 1990s on Y&R.

 

I was watching some 1980s ATWT clips the other day and it made me chuckle watching someone dial with a rotary phone. But they dialed the full number!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SFK   

It was before my time, but AW's Iris (Beverlee McKinsey) would rotary dial with a pen as not to ruin her manicure.  Someone once shared a memory of a scene where she dialed the operator asking to be connected to a character in St. Tropez.  The operator reminded Iris that she could direct dial to which she replied, "Then what are you there for?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×