Jump to content

Comparing and contrasting "The Bold and the Beautiful" with "Santa Barbara"


Recommended Posts

  • Members
10 hours ago, YRfan23 said:

I've actually heard that Passions was more comparable to Santa Barbara..

 

 

Luis & Sheridan were/are a total Cruz & Eden ripoff.   I actually was super excited when A Martinez was brought on to DAYS to play Galen Gering's dad, as I always thought he should have been cast as such on Passions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Both shows set in sunny California, focused on a rich scandalous family, star-crossed lovers and appealled to international audiences as they were serving a daily dose of Dynasty during the eighties.

 

Capitol, Santa Barbara, B&B, Sunset Beach belong to the same soap family as far as I am concerned.

 

B&B transformed into a silly telenovela-like show with silly characters within the years while Santa Barbara was cancelled before turning into a joke. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
19 hours ago, juniorz1 said:

 

Luis & Sheridan were/are a total Cruz & Eden ripoff.   I actually was super excited when A Martinez was brought on to DAYS to play Galen Gering's dad, as I always thought he should have been cast as such on Passions.

I can't say that A Martinez was too happy during his 1999-2002 stint as Roy DiLucca on General Hospital.  Imagine if he had played Luis on Passions during that period instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
3 hours ago, GSGfan2017 said:

I can't say that A Martinez was too happy during his 1999-2002 stint as Roy DiLucca on General Hospital.  Imagine if he had played Luis on Passions during that period instead.

 

 

AM is a little long in the tooth to be Eva Tamargo's son? No?  GG was enough of a stretch....

Please register in order to view this content

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Both shows were very popular in Greece. People were obsessed with B&B in the late eighties and several actors visited our country.

 

KKL did a tv perfume commercial and presented the Miss Europe Contest along with Dan McVicar who portrayed a priest on our cult 90s daytime drama The Shining. 

Please register in order to view this content

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 6/24/2017 at 0:03 AM, Elsa said:

Both shows were very popular in Greece. People were obsessed with B&B in the late eighties and several actors visited our country.

 

KKL did a tv perfume commercial and presented the Miss Europe Contest along with Dan McVicar who portrayed a priest on our cult 90s daytime drama The Shining. 

Please register in order to view this content

Elsa, what did you think of Santa Barbara?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
On 2/7/2017 at 9:57 PM, GSGfan2017 said:

Elsa, what did you think of Santa Barbara?

 

As a teenager I was obsessed with the show. (1984-87 episodes)

 

After that I couldn't keep up with all the deaths, the rapes and the recasts but I always had a soft spot for the show and there eras and stories that I enjoyed. Mason and Julia were MY supercouple btw.

 

I think the show might still be around today if it had been a half-hour soap and if a capable executive producer had managed to maintain some stability. 

 

Watching again after all these years I get the outdated "NBC tries to compete with GH" eighties vibe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, Elsa said:

 

As a teenager I was obsessed with the show. (1984-87 episodes)

 

After that I couldn't keep up with all the deaths, the rapes and the recasts but I always had a soft spot for the show and there eras and stories that I enjoyed. Mason and Julia were MY supercouple btw.

 

I think the show might still be around today if it had been a half-hour soap and if a capable executive producer had managed to maintain some stability. 

 

Watching again after all these years I get the outdated "NBC tries to compete with GH" eighties vibe.

 

This is basically my story too. IA about all the recasts and revolving door of producers and writers which made what appeared onscreen impermanent and therefore more difficult to invest in after a while. But Mason & Julia were FIRE! 

Please register in order to view this content
 And tbh I thought it was better than GH at the time.

 

As far as comparing SB and B&B, both were/are products of their time. Glossy 80s soaps meant to echo the era's hugely popular nighttime soaps about obscenely wealthy, dysfunctional families and their dark secrets. A blind man could trace a direct line from Dynasty to Santa Barbara and B&B.

 

I am disappointed at how repetitive B&B has been since the mid-90s. Funny how SB was desperately crying out for long-term stability -- B&B is the opposite case, atrophying under a bored, longtime EP and HW who endlessly recycles the same plot(s), often with the same group of actors, lol. I know it's a case of being careful what you wish for (Y&R never recovered after CBS/SONY edged out the Bells), but I wish we could get different EPs and HWs for B&B without diminishing the Bell control over that show. They could promote from within, as B&B often does, to its credit. Someone who knows the history, but who has talent and freshness. Someone who is not Brad Bell, lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
5 hours ago, Elsa said:

 

As a teenager I was obsessed with the show. (1984-87 episodes)

 

After that I couldn't keep up with all the deaths, the rapes and the recasts but I always had a soft spot for the show and there eras and stories that I enjoyed. Mason and Julia were MY supercouple btw.

 

I think the show might still be around today if it had been a half-hour soap and if a capable executive producer had managed to maintain some stability. 

 

Watching again after all these years I get the outdated "NBC tries to compete with GH" eighties vibe.

Well, Elsa, the current daytime soaps in the United States aren't produced like Santa Barbara was.  Just ask A Martinez, who played Cruz Castillo on SB.

 

How do you think SB tried to compete with GH, Elsa?  Also, how similar was the Kelly Capwell character on SB to the Brooke Logan character on B&B?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
16 hours ago, GSGfan2017 said:

How do you think SB tried to compete with GH, Elsa?  Also, how similar was the Kelly Capwell character on SB to the Brooke Logan character on B&B?

 

I mean that watching SB now, I see the "NBC tries to compete with GH" aesthetics. The music, the direction, the tone. I didn't get that vibe from the CBS soaps of that era.

 

When I first saw Brooke I thought of Kelly because of the hair 

Please register in order to view this content
 Robin Wright's Kelly was an old-school ingenue while early Brooke had no real direction since Bill Bell hadn't decided if she would become a heroine or his new Jill Foster. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
10 hours ago, Elsa said:

 

I mean that watching SB now, I see the "NBC tries to compete with GH" aesthetics. The music, the direction, the tone. I didn't get that vibe from the CBS soaps of that era.

 

When I first saw Brooke I thought of Kelly because of the hair 

Please register in order to view this content
 Robin Wright's Kelly was an old-school ingenue while early Brooke had no real direction since Bill Bell hadn't decided if she would become a heroine or his new Jill Foster. 

Elsa, how similar do you think Days of our Lives was to Santa Barbara during the mid-to-late '80s?  A certain Facebook friend of mine thought that Robin Wright's Kelly Capwell was boring.  To her, Robin's Kelly always seemed to be missing and always seemed to be in need of rescuing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • On Soap Opera Network

  • Community Posts

    • Victoria outscheming EVERYONE.  Finally.   Such an interesting story about all the men assuming that the poor little woman is clueless and incompetent.  Everyone having conversations about this. (Men assuming that "the poor little woman is incapable of making rational decisions for herself" is really reflecting society right now.)   And meanwhile she is secretly being the queen here and taking down Ashland in her own way and on her own terms, without being *rescued* by any man. They are so underestimating her! Destroy them all!
    • That's a very true point & a very scary estimation.
    • Seriously, given the resources they have, compared to GL at the end, I think they are much worse.
    • There were three of those "series". Chad & Abby in Paris, Chapter One  Eight episodes Aug. 1 – Sept. 5, 2019 Chad & Abby in Paris, Chapter Two Eight episodes Sept. 19 – Nov. 7, 2019 Last Blast Reunion (takes place in New York City) Eight episodes Nov. 29, 2019 – Jan. 16, 2020 They were on a special "app" called the "DOOLapp" and that app was available only in the US.  You had to have the app -- they couldn't be watched in a regular browser window. They weren't streaming, and they weren't podcasts, but they were sort of like that.  Some viewers referred to the episodes as "appisodes" for lack of a better term.  The show officially called it a "Digital Series".  Each episode was between 6 and 10 minutes long.  The first few were uploaded at once; and then one episode was uploaded each week thereafter. These series sort of had same concept as what Beyond Salem does now - Salem characters interacting outside of Salem. It was canon.  But if you only watched the main daytime show and never knew about the DOOLapp "appisodes", it wouldn't disrupt your continuity of watching the main daytime show. The characters of Chad and Abby had exited the main daytime show prior to this. They had left Salem and were living in Paris.   This was a quick way to check in with the characters without requiring a longterm taping commitment for the actors.  The episodes were so short that I think each "chapter" was filmed in a few days. They introduced the character of Li Shin (Remington Hoffman) for the very first time in  "Chad and Abby in Paris".  Li and Chad worked in the Paris office of DiMera Enterprises.   Later on, Hoffman debuted as Li on the main daytime show in April 2020. For the digital "Last Blast Reunion" in New York, they brought back several of the original actors from the Last Blast Dance teen crowd of old for a reunion - who hadn't been on the main daytime show in many many years. Including Jay Kenneth Johnson and Heather Lindell -- who came to the main daytime show later in 2020. In a different sort of carryover ...  the 2019 Chad and Abby in Paris apartment set was used for the first time for the main daytime show in 2020 -- the set was used briefly at various times when Salem characters were running from the police and went to France and hid out at the DiMera Paris apartment.
    • @Vee Pathetic stuff.  Reminds me that earlier today Jordan Charlton, yet another Bernie dead-ender/accelerationist, was tweeting out Puck News as the gospel truth (an article about how shocked Republicans are at Democrats not doing more after the Dobbs decision).  I don't think it will sway many, because those who fall for this tend to be already be unlikely to vote for Democrats anyway, but the full court press from the garbage dump left, desperately working  to drown out any sense of motivation or activism, has been staggering, and shows just how in bed they are with the right.  Here is Jezebel blatantly misleading people that Biden is soon going to appointed an anti-abortion judge: Media Matters: There is so much more where this has come from, including deadenders pushing people to boycott Planned Parenthood and instead donate to cult groups like Rise Up.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy