Brian Williams "demoted" to MSNBC, still makes NBC News appearances; Lester Holt made anchor

DRW50

• Members

Not too surprised that "BriWi" (ugh) got as minimal a slap on the wrist as possible from his BFF Lack. I wonder how much longer it will be before he's put back in that chair.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/06/18/how-lester-holt-dethroned-brian-williams-nbc-s-messy-changing-of-the-guard.html

I never had that much love for Tim Russert but Williams' comment to his fellow empty-suited smarmmeister Chuck Todd about Russert is tacky. No real respect for a fellow newsman, it seems.

Speaking of Chuck, he also makes sure to give his fellow Beltway sycophant a wet kiss.

http://deadline.com/2015/06/brian-williams-chuck-todd-matt-lauer-nbc-suspension-andy-lack-1201450238/

"Shockingly honest" indeed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/20/arts/television/brian-williams-in-raw-form-delivers-an-apology-on-today.html

What bravery.

NBC News has all the credibility and value of Paris Hilton...and even less relevance.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They were going to can him outright, until Williams made it clear he would not go quietly if pushed and would leak like a sieve as retribution.

I don't think this will work, but they're trying to neutralize his threats. He will never be national anchor again, though. They are furious with him.

• Members

What I remember hearing (from the Daily Beast's raft of NBC sources) is that they expected Lack to be his apologist, but were surprised when he came on and was pretty forthright early on. The impression I get is Williams' scorched earth policy gained the upper hand, but I still don't think this compromise will last. His already iffy rep at the company has plummeted below sea level.

• Members

I don't think it was anything other than just a very embarrassing public spectacle - going to every network in the country to talk about how unfairly he was treated, and maybe some dirt. I doubt he had a phone hacking scandal under his belt or anything.

• Members

Matt Lauer asking him only softball questions. Williams was selling some BS story about even though he wasn't telling the truth he wasn't intending to lie. All Matt had to do was ask Williams to explain his definition of a lie, and what he was thinking while telling the lie. You tell a lie because you want to impress and be a big shot. He allowed Williams to say whatever he wanted about ego. Bull--that isn't good enough. He gets it he says, what does that even mean?

• Members

IA. And I definitely see this move as NBC's way of neutralizing and/or appeasing Williams without having to pay off the rest of his contract (a hefty sum, no doubt) or risk his airing the network's dirty laundry to others. NBC News is vulnerable, IMO, and they can't afford any further hits to their organization.

What I'm concerned about, though, is how long the network will keep Lester Holt in that anchor chair. I mean, they SAY he's permanent but I really don't think so. Especially with "ABC World News" with David Muir beginning to overtake them in the ratings.

Either way, Brian Williams going back to MSNBC -- which is network news Siberia, if you ask me -- pretty much spells the end of that man's career -- at least at NBC.

Archived