• Members

I loved the Ben story! I don't even care. Actually, some of the Civil War [!@#$%^&*] really grated a little in my recent run-through. But as Richard Beymer says in the book I also think it was a genuine attempt to evolve a character from something other than their prior, standard characterization, and I liked the results - when Ben became this sort of on-the-fence, 'kind' philanthropist in the final stretch who sometimes does more harm than good, and you can't quite tell whether he is 100% genuine in his motives or not.

I also thought, despite the Wheeler thing and Sherilyn Fenn's issues with that, that Ben and Audrey bonding closely over his empire and his making her his heir was a very natural evolution for her. She looked great in those power suits. Unlike most of the female youth set at that point, Audrey still had agency, even if she was off in a bubble.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

David Lynch gave a lot of us heart attacks this morning at his exhibition in Australia by suggesting (or leading some to suggest) that TP's fate might be in doubt, murkily mentioning something about contract negotiations. This is Welcome to Twin Peaks' report, which is constantly being updated and IMO has an entirely unnecessary and scaremongering headline:

Another poster indicated this post from a fan on Facebook, which sounds reassuring.

To my very limited knowledge, contracts have already been signed for the production and at least some of the cast (Kyle MacLachlan was already very publicly confirmed at the TCAs) and they are ready to go in May or June, so this could be either a) Lynch trying to play public hardball with someone over something, or B) Lynch being Lynch and just being fussy and not wanting to discuss it, leading to people getting worried over nothing.

Edited by Vee

• Members

The WTTP twitter is dropping a number of hints, and suggests "another cast confirmation would clear all doubts." This makes me wonder if it's a contract snag with one of the leads. It wouldn't be Kyle MacLachlan who I believe is signed and sealed and very enthusiastic on social media, but I can't imagine who would give them trouble - much of the core TP crew is a very tight-knit and devoted group who love Lynch. They couldn't possibly be over a barrel with Lara Flynn Boyle at this point, either.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I'm 95% sure the series is happening - this isn't Prospect Park. Too much money has been sunk into it by Showtime, cast are signed, it did the TCAs and is supposed to shoot in three months. It could be delayed, but more likely it's about some of the cast salaries. There are rumors that some want more cash, but I really have no idea. Either way, it'll get done.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I'm baffled as to who in the cast would even want more, given that most of them aren't exactly big stars. Kyle is the biggest and from what you said he's already signed on. Unless it's someone like Sherilynn and she's still not sure about returning.

• Members

He wouldn't have done the TCAs if he wasn't signed and official, AFAIK. He's also been very close to Lynch since Dune. Sherilyn I thought was fairly confirmed, and I also doubt she'd say no to Lynch.

I imagine we'll know more within a few days, or it'll all be resolved.

• Members

It's starting to sound like this may just be what I thought - a negotiating tactic. Rumors are swirling that it may be about Lynch wanting a bigger chunk of the sales profits from Showtime. Creative control is not an issue, Lynch and Frost received that first.

I expect he'll get whatever he wants and this is all kabuki. Or so I hope. If it's a cast issue that is also doable.

Edited by Vee

• Members

It seems very dramatic but it's standard negotiation ploys, honestly. They have far too much invested in this to walk away, they have signed at least the star (MacLachlan) and presented him live onstage to the assembled industry media at a major public event, and they've pinned their entire future prestige slate on this show. They believe it is what will make them a real contender opposite HBO and GOT.

• Members

Kyle MacLachlan sounds optimistic in a recent interview:

I suspect it is largely the distribution/sales part of Lynch's bargain with Showtime. But I'm sure it will be worked out. They have too much on the line now, in public, to let it go, and they know it would be picked up immediately by Netflix or anyone else.

Mädchen Amick talks to Visionarios [sic] Magazine, and says Shelly took her back to her formative years in Reno. The magazine seems to be under the impression the show begins filming in April, but I didn't think it was til June or July.

Edited by Vee

• 2 weeks later...