Ebola outbreak

alphanguy74

• Members

Now some in the media are saying that Amber Vinson DID check in with the CDC, and the CDC told her it was fine to go because her temperature wasn't over 100. mad.gif I'm sorry, but if that's true, that's a huge, huge misstep by the CDC. NO ONE who cared for Thomas Eric Duncan should have been traveling until they'd passed the 21 day mark.

Meanwhile, one of the passengers on that plane was a child, a child who has been back at school in Texas for two days now. The school sent home letters today, letting parents know that the child was being monitored by the county health department. My friend's child attends this particular school and got the letter today. Odds are this child will be fine, and so will my friend's son, but it's pretty damn scary when you think about sick people getting on airplanes in major cities.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I knew this was on the CDC. They've been playing a lot of "blame the victim" with the new cases but the fact is it is their wrong for not having set safety guidelines that they made sure were enforced starting with the second the index patient was suspected of being a high risk of having Ebola. They should have been prepared for an outbreak. I was just reading the Boston Globe article on this, and the anonymous source pretty much right out says the second nurse did everything she should have. She followed the rules they had set forth. She really didn't even have to report that fever with it being under 100. There was no travel ban.

I still think there's almost no chance she spread it to a single person but now isn't the time to challenge the nervous public.

• Members

Both nurses were taking care of him before he got the official diagnosis of Ebola. He was having explosive diarrhea and vomiting before and after diagnosis. Nurses Union report that multiple nurses from the facility told them that their were several opening in the protection outfits they had to stamp down with tape. They reported supervisors even told them they could go in the room without plastic face shields.

• Members

This is rampant in the medical profession. They don't consider you to have a fever until you are above 100 degrees, which is one size fits all bullshit. I've dealt with that my whole life. If I am 99, I'm sick. My temp is always between 97 and 97.5 in the mornings, and even at night, never above 98.4, most times 98.2. By the time I get to 100, I'm feeling really bad. The CDC is pretty incompetent, I've even information on their websites that is incorrect. It doesn't surprise me that nurses contracted this, about 2/3 of all nurses have no concept of cross contamination. They get into nursing because you can go to school for a short time to do it, and jobs are plentiful and easy to get. The best nurse I ever met, got into it because it was her "calling". When you or a loved one is int eh hospital you have to basically stand guard at all times. When my brother was going through cancer treatment, a nurse was going to put an IV in my brother's arm that she had accidentally dragged to end of on the FLOOR, until my mother made her get a new one.

• Members

Now I'm exactly the opposite. My baseline temp tends to be in the lower 99s. 99.5 is routine for me when I'm ovulating (sorry for the TMI) so I wouldn't have even considered it a fever.

As for nurses, I don't throw shade. In the last few years, I've been in the hospital for chest pain, a broken arm and my mother has had two knee replacements and most of the nurses I've encountered were wonderful, thoughtful people who were overworked and verbally abused by patients who don't seem to realize that that nurse is the only thing standing between you and spending the afternoon laying in your own filth. I've seen one or two bad ones over the years but I consider nurses on par with teachers. They do a job that I don't want and couldn't do while being constantly second-guessed. This nurse followed procedure and did everything she was supposed to do.

I think what were seeing with the medical system is the same thing we saw with our electrical infrastructure during the 2003 blackout. It's barely been functioning and all it takes is one stressor too many and the whole thing breaks down.

• Members

What pains me is that none of the healthcare professionals were held/monitored for the very short incubation period. Was 6 days too much to ask for something this damn serious? The nurse leaves work, goes God knows where and then hops on a plane? This scares the !@#$%^&*] out of me!

• Members

In the old days, if someone was sick...the whole house was quarantined. Something that should have been done for medical staff.

I don't get why 76 people attended to Duncan.. I would have kept it at a much lower number and also made sure those people didn't attend to other patients.

Also, I think the second nurse should have held tight till at least 21 days passed before going on a trip to visit family. As whooping Goldberg said..there is.this thing called a phone.

• Members

^ I have heard that Amber Vinson had gone to Ohio to work with her family on planning her wedding. IDK how long the trip had been arranged, but it probably could and should have been delayed.

I'm glad that they've moved her to Emory and that they're moving Nina Pham to an NIH facility in Maryland. It's obvious that Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital is not ready to treat multiple Ebola patients, and they need to be removed the equation for now. Just judging from some of the stories from the nurses, I'd be afraid to be ANY kind of a patient in that hospital right now because of concerns that everything from lab samples to waste disposal to transporting people and things in elevators could have contaminated other people and other parts of the hospital. I just really hope we don't have too many more patients because of Thomas Eric Duncan.

• Members

This is the dumbest thing I've think I've ever witnessed. Why were these folks not quarantined for the incubation period, and you ask an excellent question. Why 76 damn people tending to this one man? So they can be interviewed on a later date and get their 15?

Now, they are chasing their tails to see if safety precautions were followed while not one dumb ass is copping to the blatant bottleneck in the system they have in place!

• Members

I don't think Texas Health Presbyterian is ready to treat ANY Ebola patients. Sadly, I doubt most hospitals in the countries are prepared.

Those 4 hospitals may be the only ones since they've had years of training and infrastructure set-up for infectious and biologically hazardous diseases. Even the removal of the gear needs to be so meticulous that I doubt a few days or even a few weeks is going to cover it.

Whether Americans will admit it or not, they rely an awful lot on goverment, so the CDC has to step up and stop hanging back. They're adapting to the situation, which is better than not adapting but in matters of life and death the margin for error has to be miniscule or it can produce disastrous results. At this point, it matters little whether it will become a relatively few unfortunate cases or something much larger, they must realize that part of their job is to allay fears as well as send out directives. Inspiring confidence may not be part of their jobs in the past, but in moments like these, it is now.

Archived