Favorite characters added to already existing shows

DRW50

• Members

This can be a few episodes in, a few seasons in, whatever you want.

There are many in my head, but my quick choices would be shows I've watched more recently - Castiel on Supernatural (such a rich, complex character when given the opportunity to be more than a plot point or a joke), and Ben on Parks and Rec. Parks and Rec totally fell apart after the third season, but I love Ben. He's smart, supportive, funny, sweet, yet he's also incredibly neurotic and terrified. And I love his geekiness and that way he is so elitist in that geekiness even when he doesn't mean to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS_CvXj21uk

A few others...

Sue Ann Nivens - I often felt like she was too reduced to a dirty joke machine, but on the few times they allowed Betty White more of a chance, she was stupendous. And the vibrating bed was the funniest thing ever on MTM, or close anyway.

Iola on Mama's Family - I'm not sure I could have stomached the cheap syndicated years of Mama's Family without her. Beverly Archer was a delight.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Disowning you, Carl, for shading the syndicated years of Mama's Family. Those episodes were gold!!

My #1 favorite TV character of all time (well, when it's not Miss Kane) is Dawson's Creek's Jack McPhee, who first appeared in the second season. He was such a warm, honest character and a perfect fit for the show, especially as the central triangle created perpetual drama for the core 4 and took away a bit of the atmosphere of the first season. The show just wouldn't have been the same without him.

• Members

Heather Locklear added to Melrose Place half-way through Season One.

Joan Collins added to Dynasty at the start of Season Two (though I *loved* season one).

Johnny Galecki and Sandra Bernhard added to Roseanne in Season Four; Martin Mull added in Season 3-4 (then left and rejoined for good in Season 6).

• Members

-Bringing the delicious Sable Colby over to Dynasty in season 9 was a brilliant move. After The Colbys "failed", the producers could have easily severed all ties to the spin-off, but they wisely and thankfully saw what a winner they had in Stephanie Beacham.

-Little Billy on Who's the Boss, Halyalkar was the child actor's last name iirc, was one of the few instances where the sitcom trope of adding a new cute kid actually worked. Little Earl on What's Happening!! is another example though that began to crumble as the series neared its end.

-Monroe on TCFC. He brought out the comedic best in Ted Knight, not unlike his relationship with his son in Caddyshack ("You'll get nothing, and LIKE it!")

-Abby.

-Kim and Freddie.

-Charmaine and Lance.

• Members

Riley on Buffy - the most hated main Buffyverse character of all time next to Connor? Are you on crack? But speaking of the Buffyverse, I have to add my favourite character from both series who came onto the show in season three, Anya. She was unfortunately underused a lot, but she basically saved the day in the season 5 finale and was the MVP in two major episodes; the musical episode during and in "The Body" where she gives her fruit punch speech about not understanding human death, easily one of the best moments in the history of the show.

Here's the fruit punch speech ... (sorry about the quality, couldn't find a better version)

Archived