Empire: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

There's been past talk about Trai Byers' singing so I thought I'd just drop this here so people could hear him for themselves. No spoilers.

Damn. He had to go and sing one of my favorite Stevie Wonder songs. Now I'm gonna have to slap Rhonda right out of the picture.

• Members

That should be the way it works, but it simply isn't the way business functions when it comes to international markets. If you read the trades, it is glaringly obvious. The excuse that ' Black films don't travel' has been used time and time again and I just hope that this excuse will be finally unveiled as such, an excuse and a flimsy one. Those international markets like Great Britain, that got in on it early, Empire has already become highly successful.

The structure technically would fit in with a telenovela format, but like DeeDee mentioned, Latin American TV is loathe to present more than one dark skinned character (usually downtrodden), so except for Brazil and maybe Colombia, I could see the television broadcasters being reluctant to resistant to bring Empire to there stations. The example of the Venezuelan fashion host referring to Michelle Obama as looking like a character from Planet of the Apes speaks volumes to the type of attitude and prejudices and vitriol that exists in certain cultures, which is a large program that no amount of well written character or richly told story can supplant.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I am surprised that the UK acquired it so quickly and is now airing it. I lived in London for an extended period before and it usually takes them months to get series and air them. I know I was waiting to watch some Fox and CW shows there and they were 6-7 months behind in airings. Doing a quick wiki search it seems like it premiered in Australia to weaker ratings but a good demo, and Canada's airing it now too, so it seems to be making its way.

Edited by Skin