RIP Mickey Rooney

Eric83

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mickey was quite a character, not to all tastes, but when he was at his peak he had true star quality. You couldn't take your eyes off him. He represented the typical American boy to many in the public in those years. An idealized, aw-shucks one, but one that the country needed at the time.

I enjoyed his movies with Judy Garland. They worked well together and they were kindred spirits - they were never allowed to be children, and as a result I'm not sure either of them ever got to grow up.

The whole "hey kids, let's put on a show!" will forever make me smile, back before musicals started taking themselves a little too seriously.

• Members

Jeanine Basinger's wonderful book The Star Machine has a lot in it about the progression and evolution of not only Mickey Rooney as a juvenile star but also the Andy Hardy films, IIRC - that's sort of a lost art in films today, following a family through the years, film after film. In a way it's a side-set to soap opera, although the Andy Hardy films were of course very traditional and cossetted in their worldview. I still see that family saga model from time to time in some very popular foreign film series in Asia, but over here that basic outline in mostly relegated to Adam Sandler ATM-hit comedies today. It's too bad.

I know Rooney these days mostly from his work when he was very young. It's impossible not to remember him best, though, with Judy Garland

Archived