Corday Productions Launches Digital Soaps Platform ‘Net Soaps’

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never felt one way or another about CC although i heard rumours that she wasnt the easiest person to work with. But apparently plenty of actors have no trouble working under her since she usually gets A-listers from the soap world for each of her projects.

I didnt watch much of her venture into websoap but I have to say that I think the pilot for The Grove was really good. I think Beth Maidland was a hoot as this wackjob aunt with no censor system and I think the ensemble held together pretty good compared to other websoap.

I wish Everybody involved in this new venture as much success as possible. The transition between radio and tv back in the days certainly wasnt any smoother than the one we currently have from tv to web but i think theres potential for websoaps to be the future for daily scripted drama.

• Members

From the Variety article:

"Corday Productions, which produces NBC’s “Days of Our Lives,” is teaming up with digital-media firm All Screens Media to launch Net Soaps/Net Novelas — a venture aiming to create and distribute original “interactive” soap operas online that let fans, thesps and advertisers participate in the shows’ development.

The venture will focus on multilingual soaps for the U.S., Latin America and Brazil. Net Soaps/Net Novelas also is making a branded-content pitch to advertisers to integrate their products or services directly in the new digital series."

Nope, no interest at all for me. First it appears to be geared toward non-English speakers, and I'm not willing to read subtitles for a soap. Second, the idea of fan involvement it's overly appealing. When fans demand - and get - whatever they want, you get stagnating couples and repetitive storylines. I understand that storylines are often changed based on fan response, but someone has to be steering the ship with a clear vision for where they're going, even if a story is initially unpopular. The idea of allowing actors to upload reels to a site and let fans be involved in casting is interesting, but it has the potential to be a total cluster too.

I don't understand why they are essentially creating a new online network. Why not just make one soap for online distribution, do it really well, and release it on Netflix or Hulu, where people are already subscribed and using the site? Then if it's successful, you can fund other ventures. This whole "We're going to create an online network and fill it with programming" thing doesn't seem workable.

• Members

Can't agree more.

Also, people tend to forget that online shows will not be on a time slot. They will always be available. In the old days you could either watch Soap A or Soap B or Soap C but not all at once. Because of that, if you watched one on a network you would be, more than likely, watching most of those network soaps. Nobody really says, "hey! I want to start watching soaps let me watch EACH ONE until I find one I like". Soaps are passed down from generations or watched by accident or begged to be watched by a faithful viewer.

Point I am trying to make is that you CANT make an "Online Network" because the "inter**NET**" is one large **NET**work.

To create a website dedicated to originally programming you first have to have an abundance of originally programming available. First start small by going to places like Netflix/Hulu until you have SEVERAL shows produced by you then you can go on from there.

• Members

TOLN, despite it's messes, was from actual producers behind a production company used to putting out a product (which makes me shake my head as they should have handled it far better than they did but that's beating a dead horse). These people who do the web soaps aren't able to rent studios and put up sets. I don't know why the quality is knocked when ... what else would you expect? I agree they are far from up to par and the reason I can barely watch any of them, but if I'm given a well written product I'd watch them act in front of a trash heap.

• Members

A well written web soap with actors in front of a trash heap is not going to be a successful show - you yourself said that the poor quality is the reason you can barely watch what's out there now. I agree that strong writing is the backbone for any show, but the right actors in the right roles, coupled with a strong director, well lit, well made sets and good camera work and editing have to all combine WITH that writing to make a show that's watchable. Good writing is vital, but if you can't pull together the rest of the elements needed to make a good show, you might as well just write a book instead.

• Members

The issue here is that the web soaps now are weekly and corday prods is talking Daily soaps I believe so Im sorry CC's venice and Beacon Hill wouldnt survive in a daily show cause the cost of shooting on location all the time would eat up her budget. It would for most if not all these web shows that shoot on locale.

So the production model needs to me to be more like the PP model with the weeks off and sharing studio spaces for their shows

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Nelson Branco reported a blind item recently about a new soap venture that could be marred by the involvment of one toxic soap veteran. I wonder if cray cray Corday has looped in the loopy christian Dena Breshears Higly or could he have dusted off that sapphic nightmare, Megan McTavish?

Archived