Stories that you feel personally flopped and could've been better....

• Members

Dare I say it but Adam's whole story was a flop. He had potential early on when CE played him and he first found out about Victor but when they made him into a psychopath, his potential flatlined. They should've just stuck to story that was practically written out for them--have Adam v. Vicki/Nick over Newman instead of having him doing heinous things. I also hated how they ruined his relationship with Ashley. I would've loved for Adam to remain close with Ashley and eventually Abby and they have Adam/Abby v. Nick/Vicki. Nikki's kids, who feel like they are the true Newman heirs versus their other siblings. I also hate that they had Abby drop her hatred towards Nikki so soon. I would've loved for Abby to give it to Nikki for years to come like Victoria did Ashley. MAB effed up any potential for this entire family and now this once great family is reduced to plot-driven drivel.

The "return" of Dani Andropolous on ATWT. Even though it was short term, this "arc" wreaked of garbage. She could've had so much potential in the long run and I hate that she didn't even interact with Kim of all people. I hated the fact that they had her sleeping with Craig, a man once her father, thus ruining Craig even further. I would've loved for it to have been Dani v. Allison for Aaron's affection with Chris teaming with his adoptive niece to help split the two. That would've been more endearing. Her short return was wasted.

DAYS Mad World v. Countess Wilhemena. Ugh. Garbage. I thought the Madison v. Kate feud (with Sami in the middle) would've been so good but it was a flop too. I would've loved for majority of Salem to have gotten into the feud, and it creating conflict in the characters' personal and work lives--a huge problem in soaps nowadays. I get we're in a recession but we still wanna see the characters have jobs too.

Speaking of DAYS, Carly's return fits this so well. I knew when they had her kill Lawrence DAY ONE, this story was gonna flop. Lawrence was needed for this story to succeed IMO. I would've loved for Carly to have came back to Salem to escape Lawrence's clutches, and Bo try and help her, all the while falling for her again. I would've loved for Lawrence (with Nicky and Viv) in tow to return to Salem, wreaking havoc like they once did. I wanted to see how Lawrence would've responded towards Hope. Would they be allies? Would he grow an obsession towards her? And Jack and Jennifer would've had a great story too with his return. Furthermore, I would've loved for Abby to have been paired with Nicky, further wreaking havoc as Jennifer's daughter could've feel for her mother's rapist son. Jack and Jen could've protested it. Lawrence could've encouraged it in hopes of sticking to Jack and Jen. Carly & Jen's friendship could've been tested by the union. The Alamains returns was a dud and could've been so much more. And sticking Melanie and Daniel into it, along with making Carly a dope fiend, made it even worse.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Those are all terrific examples.

This is not really a story per se, but I'd love to know how the AMC writers came up with the name "Zarf". Was it supposed to be short for a long last name or something? Were the AMC writers/producers and the network not aware of what "Zarf" rhymes with? Oy vey.

• Members

Re Adam Y&R.

I think the character was ill conceived from the start.Firstly he was SORASED beyond his years. Adam should have arrived as an impressionable teen and over his first few years we could see his devious nature taking shape. There would have been years of story ahead.

• Members

I think I've said before how I felt about Adam Newman's SORAS-ing. IMO, it's a necessary evil to age characters in order to make them more viable for story. (Don't believe me? Look at the ridiculous "love triangle" happening right now on GH w/ three characters who haven't even graduated from elementary school yet!) But I think SORAS-ing has to be done within reason. Adam was born when Nick was already an adult. Yet, for some reason, the two have ended up not being very apart in age.

Put another way -- even if you take SORAS-ing into account, Adam (born in 1995) should, IMO, be younger than Cassie (who was born in 1991) AND her doppelganger. He shouldn't be older than her, and certainly not old enough to be her dad.

• Members

The perfect exemple for the necessity of SORAS for me is that insipid Spencer/Emma/cameron triangle. And i wouldnt credit one half of the Alderson sibling for the merit of allowing child actor to grow on screen. KA just isnt cutting it as an actress in spite of having grown on camera.

For story purposes I see greater advantage in skipping a few years here and there. The big issue is with kids who were born one day and are hyper-sorased practically into their mother's wombs.

• Members

I don't see why Ronald's bargain bin writing is an example for the necessity of SORAS. Everyone says it's done to "make kids interesting," but in the process of making the kids interesting, you've cut like 10 years of viable story life off from the parents/grandparents of that kid because you've made them "old." Look at the UK soaps, which have only done very slight SORASing in very rare cases. No one on a UK soap is playing Grandma at age 37, Miss Sweeney.

• Members

No actors would be able to play the garbage that Ron spews out for that "triangle."

Rapid aging soap children rarely works. Not one of those SORAS situations helped on Y&R, in spite of some of the soap shills trying to get hot over Emme Rylan as Abby and Michael Muhney as whatever creep that was.

• Members

Ideally a show could skip 2-3 years here and there and by the time the kid is supposed to be 10 they end up being teens. I dont mind some bonding-with-kids scene to establish the main character as a good parent but it goes out of hand (especially on the Bell shows) when Hope was born on screen in 2005 and is now running a multi-millions business.

I dont watch Days anymore but i feel they ve got it right with Celia and Theo and whatever Sami's baby girl's name is.

But they lose points for making Elvis jr nearly 40. When he should be JJ's age.

Im not a fan of extrme SORASing but aging a kid a few years here and there does allow for greater story potential imho.

Archived