Queer as Folk

marceline

• Members

I just finished the show's third season for the first time. Absolutely the best one so far, especially the second half, which largely dropped the 'outrageous' single episode stories in favor of more mature, complicated, continuing drama (with doses of QAF's usual OTT). The Stockwell Election campaign story (an umbrella storyline!) is the best one they've ever done, and sadly has soooo many parallels to what's going on in the country right now. Of course, the bad guy loses in the end and, as we saw, the reality for us was not the same. Ted's pill/drug addiction, Mel's pregnancy, Ben/Michael taking in Hunter and loving him, Deb/Carl and Dumpster Boy were also fantastic. Ted seeing himself getting f.cked on camera while he was completely out of it was the stuff of nightmares. They also did a great job making me care for Brian more than ever before and, of course, Ben and Michael are love. It made me cry when Hunter hugged Ben as a thank you. Great stuff. I'm only afraid it can't be surpassed. I would have liked I little more Daphne and especially more of Justin's mom. I love Deb. They seemed to completely drop Ben's steroid use. 

Edited by YRBB

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I haven't seen the show in a long time but the third and fourth seasons are probably the ones I remember as the best, mostly because they moved away from most of the stories that were dead ends and never really worked (like Michael being in love with Brian). 

• Members

I remember season three being on of the best. And love, love, LOVED the music...though I never found out  what song was  used as the intro for the season three box set when you hit the main menu. lol.

Still I loved how unrelated stories connected so well in season three.

• Members

Yeah, during the last episode, it hit me -- Michael had (mostly) moved on. And thank God for that. After he got together with Ben, it really would have been damaging to his character to continue that.

The writing really matured in season 3, and this was a result of that. They put that cast to WORK, most of them delivered better than they ever have before.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...