DAYS: Kim Hamilton, one of the first African-American actresses on Days, passes away

• Members

hamiltonkimnew.jpg

KIM HAMILTON

IN LOVING MEMORY

SEPTEMBER 12, 1932-SEPTEMBER 16, 2013

(Various Roles, 1960s-1980s)

Actress Kim Hamilton, 81, who was one of the first African-American actresses to appear on "Days of Our Lives", has passed away. Hamilton died of undisclosed causes on September 16, 2013. Although her date of birth was greatly exaggerated over the years (some sites still say she was born as late as 1946), she was actually born Dorothy May Aiken on September 12, 1932. Hamilton played several nurses on "Days" in the 1960s and 1970s and later would play Penelope Wade, the mother of Abe Carver's girlfriend, Nikki Wade, in 1982.

In a TV Guide interview in the September 7, 1963 edition, Hamilton stated that she wanted to be a lawyer before she decided to become an actress. "[in 1962], when her former press agent took her to court over $75 they say she owed them, she showed what sort of lawyer she would have made. 'My own lawyer said I didn’t have a chance...but I decided to use my experience as an actress and improved.' She studied a couple of law books, went to court without a lawyer, talked for three hours, and won the case.

The article continued that Hamilton "began studying acting at Los Angeles City College. 'But I got bored with it...We never did anything - it was all in books.' She left after one semester and enrolled in acting school. 'I was there almost a year. All the other girls got cards from agents and casting directors, but I never did. I was ready to give up. Then I played the part of a silly secretary and got three cards.' One of the cards led to her first professional role, as Andy’s girl friend in Amos ‘n’ Andy."

Her acting career spanned over six decades. Hamilton appeared on countless hit TV shows, from "The Twilight Zone", "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" and "Leave it to Beaver" in the 1960s; "All in the Family", "Kojak" and "Sanford and Son" in the 1970s; "The Jeffersons", "St. Elsewhere" and "Designing Women" in the 1980s; "Star Trek: The Next Generation", "In the Heat of the Night" and "Law and Order" in the 1990s. Her final acting role was on an episode of "Private Practice" in 2008.

According to an Associated Press article from 2007, "[Hamilton] was the last surviving black adult actor with a speaking role in the 1962 classic film To Kill a Mockingbird...In one of the movie's climactic scenes, Hamilton, in the role of Helen Robinson, falls to the floor after learning her husband has been killed, and Gregory Peck, as Atticus Finch, scoops her up and carries her to safety." Hamilton stated: "[Peck] was such a gentleman, so concerned about protecting my knees so that I wouldn't hurt myself...I never forgot that."

In addition to "Days", her soap career included roles on "The Clear Horizon", "General Hospital", "The Young and the Restless", and "Guiding Light." She was a series regular on the primetime series "Executive Suite" and "Trade Winds."

She was married to actor Werner Klemperer from 1997 until his death in 2000. She was predeceased by her son, Robert. Survivors include her daughter, Tanya; son-in-law Henry; four grandchildren, Dana, Corey, Aaron and Cohen; and three great-grandchildren.

To hear Hamilton herself discuss her long-time career, here's an interview she did in 2007: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js3PALKaM5w

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm sorry to hear this.

I didn't know she was on DAYS.

AddieCate put a photo of her in the classic GH thread a few weeks ago. I wish I could see some of her material.

Her work on GL, considering the questionable material, was very strong, and I think GL made a mistake never bringing her back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2_WOFZKONs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWWO_dkpHDs

• Members

So sorry to read this. I did a Google search on her several months ago and found a very nice website created by one of her close relatives/friends. They speak of her love and support of Werner during his battle with tongue cancer. I know Miss Kim mostly from her guest spots on black sitcoms. On The Jeffersons, she has a memorable turn as Florence's snooty high school frienemy. I saw her in an episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents only a few weeks ago. I agree with DRW50 that there was much more potential in Victoria Spaulding. They should have brought her back during the Vicky Spaulding s/l instead of killing her off off-screen.

Archived