TV One: Life After

ChitHappens

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought so too, but when I looked, I could not find it. Perhaps I wasn't as thorough as I could have been. Cheap will find it in 2 seconds flat.

I can't see an interesting Unsung about SM. She lead a very clean life and is just super happy (much like Regina Belle). Both handed their lives over to God, and never looked back. They didn't revert because record sales were down, mainstream R&B was just not for them, especially Shirley. SM even struggled with As We Lay and made some changes. Stacey Ladisaw is another who just didn't want that lifestyle. Not sure why she was worthy of an Unsung, but I guess balance is good. I was super happy watching SM because she was just such a good genuine happy person.

Now, I'm gonna need some dirt to offset the good smile.png Who's up next? I saw the name yesterday, but I can't remember for the life of me!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I skipped Jimmy Walker's because I simply have no interest. Who does not know that no one cared about him after Dynomite? I've only seen him a few times since JJ, and he always comes off as a bitter fool. JW was not talented, so his fall from grace was expected.

What's up next? Adina Howard?

• Members

I didn't know that they gave Dy-No-Mite's episode last week (my TV guide showed up as a Shirley Murdock repeat), but like you, I had no interest in seeing that shucking-and-jiving fool.

Yep, this coming episode is about Adina Howard and unless she's willing to spill on her relationship with Tupac, I'll pass on that one-hit wonder.

I will, however, tune in for Sherry, Levar Burton, and (especially) Maia Campbell.

• Members

I'm mainly waiting on Maia because I am proud of her attempting to get her life together after that horrific video was released of her years ago. I have always been a fan since In The House and South Central as well as her small screen movie roles. Her Fix My Life was incredibly sad but she is definitely all for getting the help she needs and bettering her life for herself and her cutie pie daughter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The Adina Howard segment was much better than I thought it would be. I'm only familiar with "Freak Like Me", but I'm not certain as to why she is confused about the labels not pushing her albuns more. Seemed like a considerable amount of smut to me. However, Adina is certainly an inspiration to battered women because all it took was once for an ex to put his hands on her, she bolted and never looked back. He even threatened to come over a shoot her if she didn't come back to him. Adina told him to do what he had to do because she was not returning to him ever. She kept her word, but it did make it hard for other men, including her wonderful husband. He waited a long time for her, and to this very day, he absolutely adores her. I love it! She is now a chef working on books and a catering business.

LeVar Burton's segment was really good too. He is an incredible human being, and although Roots is is claim to fame and his greatest role, Reading Rainbow is his greatest accomplishment. Even though it was canceled in 2008, LeVar began other programs and books and continues to dedicate his life to children. I really love listening to him speak.

• Members

Did anyone else catch Maia Campbell? I found it to be kind of disappointing. Not much you can do with 1/2 an hour, but they went on an on about this illustrious career that never really happened and this massive talent that never really showed itself. They touched on her mental illness but it seemed to be only in passing.

This is called LIFE AFTER damn it!

• Members

Considering that the last images that many had of her were those heartbreakingly trifling videos, I don't blame her one bit in not wanting to go into detail about a disease that she's still suffering from.

And while Maia never reached the heights that, say, Brandy had during their time in the sun, I'd say that she was popular enough of a teen/young adult blacktress to be the dream girl of many teen boys around that time (hence her being cast in a couple of Cryrese videos).

As much as I loathed Brandy back then, I do miss the days when teen Blacktresses like her, Maia, Tia and Tamera, etc. were a dime a dozen. Nowadays, there isn't a single one that comes close to enjoying the same high profile as their non-Black counterparts and it's a shame.

• Members

I just wish they had given it more time. I don't need them to show that video because I don't want that humiliation for Maia, especially while she's trying to rebuild her life and career. I just would have liked the proper coverage of her illness.

As for the season finale, Sheree Whitfield is the topic of discussion. Life After what, exactly? What a waste of half an hour!

So gonna skip this!

Archived