What words are overused/misused in the soap fanbase?

• Members

I use the word stan sometimes but only in its actual intended use. Stan=Stalker fan. I only use it on the really really crazy fangurls who get overly emotional about the faves and know every little detail of the actors lives( bring up dms on twitter to prove their points in arguements). Like the kind that get so upset that you don't like their faves that they have little board meltdowns

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I agree because if you don't like what you are seeing to the point you feel they are forcing you, turn of the TV. I started watching soaps in 2008 and the only I watched regularly until OLTL came back was AMC. I hated Ryan/Greenlee and some of the others so I either fast-forwarded there scenes or just closed my eyes for a while. If you can't watch a show because of a certain character or whatever try writing a letter to the production company and like they say snail mail is better.

• Members

Personally, one thing that has kept me from posting here as much as I used to is a lot of the phrases that are currently being thrown around in this thread. Hack, propping, "shoved down our throats"...

Any time that someone doesn't like what a writer has written, it's all of a sudden that they're a hack! Any time someone doesn't like a character that is being featured heavily, that character is being propped and shoved down our throats. What really makes me laugh is when people start saying, "I guess we're supposed to like this" or "we're supposed to feel this"...um, no. No one is telling you what to feel. A writer has written a STORY and like all pieces of fiction, you can feel however you want and just because maybe you aren't feeling or seeing the story in the way the writer maybe intended, it doesn't make what they have written any less valid.

• Members

I think this was true at one time, but not in recent years of soaps. Writers have repeatedly gone to the press saying they intended a story a certain way and they sometimes seem offended when fans don't react the right way.

• Members
This is not true. They purposely change characters' personalities and motivations to fit the story and to try to force feed viewers into disliking characters and root for another. Prime example on GH is TJ all of a sudden being a jealous, violeny maniac beating up on the poor, brooding orphan Rafe.

• Members

"Knock(ed) it out of the park"

Usually used for an upcoming storyline. I remember it stood out most when DAYS was going to kill Zach and everyone was saying KA is "going to knock this out of the park." Well, she didn't and the story devolved into something pretty lame. (An actor can only do so much with "weak material" - another favorite term of mine.)

• Members

This exactly what I'm talking about. Sometimes people in the real world are hot heads and they do things they shouldn't. No one is making you see Rafe as the victim or TJ as the villain. It's a story and if you think TJ is justified, then you could root for him if you wanted.

• Members

Right. Most people can and will change over time and act out of line that said I think some writers need to work on execution but I have noticed everytime someone here complains about a character change and bring up Douglas Marland's rule about not changing a character without an explanation the next episode will literally explain why that character changed.

Archived