Should have ABC tried to make EON GH's Companion ?

allmc2008

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

EON aired after GH at 4 PM and P&G changed EON in the final years to more resemble a normal soap. There were no more mysteries and more paying attention to couples and normal soap stuff. GH at the time was very unrealistic with its spies and crazy plots, and classic EON was crime but very realistic. I don't know if they would have been a good fit.

• Members

With EON being only 30 minutes and having had a pretty full canvas of characters and stories, I think crossovers would have taken away from the time needed to focus on its own characters. In its original run I only saw the last 3-4 years of the show. When AOL was streaming it online some years back I was able to see about another year's prior, so I don't have its long history to compare with it. I think the main thing they did those last few years was jump on the supercouple bandwagon (like them or not, Luke and Laura were a huge phenom and spawned a lot of attempts to grab the audience by focusing on couples that were charismatic and adventuresome) by focusing heavily on Raven and Sky (both Skys) and Jodi and Preacher. I think EON, like other soaps, tried to cash in on GH's adventure couple formula, but within their own realm...the whole mystery and murder angle as opposed to the undercover spy angle. They were still doing mysteries and just in those last few years, there were a fair number of killings of main characters (faux-Sky, faux-Gunther, Nicole, Nora, Eliot, Logan, Spencer). But things did get a little more outlandish, like both the original versions of Sky and Gunther turning out to be imposters (no indication of that prior to that storyline), both getting murdered and both the real Sky & Gunther coming on board to take over their places, Nicole getting killed by poison makeup.

BTW, I don't think EON was wrong to focus on the couples I mentioned as I believe their popularity probably helped keep the show on the air a little longer than it might have otherwise.

• Members

To answer the OP, no. The Edge of Night was great as it was and it didn't need to copy any show.

To answer the OP, The Edge of Night was great on it's own and did not need GH as it's companion.

As Max pointed out, The Edge not having the affilliates air it right after GH or at all was it's downfall. I know the show did well here in NYC at 4PM and other markets, but it all came down to cost.

I always wonder what would have happend if P&G had sold it to ABC or allowed it to air accoss the board in an earlier time slot.

Archived