Favorite TV Themes/Openings

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I LOVE the Matlock theme!  I once quipped on Facebook that it's the music you hear in your head as you strut down the street after a great audition.

Please register in order to view this content

I have done a Mama's Family/Matlock mashup in my head, wish I knew how to edit.

• Members

The theme for Jackie Collins' Hollywood Wives encapsulates Los Angeles in the 1980s - all those stores on Rodeo Drive (Bijan, Fred, the old Ralph Lauren Polo - those scream 1980s to me), the smorgasbord of 1980s actors, all those status symbols (the Petrossian caviar, the Dom Perignon champagne), this opening has it all and then some:

• Members

And the seriously underappreciated Laura Branigan...what a voice...gone too soon.

So we have a post-TC Suzanne Somers, post-H2H Stefanie Powers and a post-Dallas Mary Crosby with a pre-Silence Anthony Hopkins, pre-Unsolved Mysteries Stack and a pre-Murphy Brown Candice Bergen. What an odd moment in all of their careers!

And I can't get over how LONG this is. You would never find a theme song running this long nowadays.

Edited by cct

• Members

I didn't realize until just now that Stack wore a piece.  I mean, Steiger, duh, but I guess watching Unsolved Mysteries between my fingers I never noticed.

That Suzanne Somers shot is begging to become a gif.

I wanna go back and count all the Rollers they managed to cram into these opening titles.

Edited by SFK

• Members

The Hollywood Wives theme/opening brings back good memories for me, and I wasn't even alive when it originally aired. The first time I watched the miniseries had to be 2002 or 2003 when WE regularly aired those great 80s miniseries. Imagine a little 12-year-old black boy in south Louisiana watching this alone on a Saturday afternoon, not the most popular kid in school, often picked on for not being manly enough, etc. That escapist fantasy meant so much to me. Everyone else was escaping into Harry Potter and anime, yet here I was living in a world of 70s and 80s glamour and excess. I wouldn't trade a single second of it.

Here are some others that used to rerun regularly during that time (aside from the aforementioned Lace and Lace II):

Sins starring Joan Collins, with theme "It's Hard to Be Tender" by Carly Simon. The song is quite sad, honestly, but so beautiful.

Scruples starring Lindsay Wagner.

Pretty angry that I can't find the opening to Bare Essence anywhere.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

All of those "elderly crime shows" had perfect strut music. Jake and the Fatman, never saw an episode in my life, but I love this big, grandiose theme. It's just so ridiculous. I would've killed to have played trumpet on this.

My favorite part is the "action shot" of that huge slow-moving Lincoln Continental limousine just sliding on down the street.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

Same.  For years, I would sing the theme ("I told my heart stay away/it isn't safe to feel this way") and wish someone would upload it on YT.  The closest I've come in my search, though, has been this amateur instrumental performance:

Gosh, I miss those '80's miniseries so damn much.  They were from a period of time when the people who made them weren't afraid of telling stories that were romantic; and by "romantic," I'm not talking the hearts-and-flowers stuff, but unrestrained, unfiltered emotions, without irony or detachment.

Not a fan of westerns, per se, but do love this theme:

IMO, FALCON CREST should have followed the lead of this and other shows and put Jane Wyman last in the opening credits ("And Starring Miss Jane Wyman as Angela Channing").  To me, that's how treat a Hollywood legend.

Edited by Khan