Live with Kelly and ???

Soapsuds

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didn't know that Cameron Mathison was that well known outside of anyone familiar with him on AMC. Even Josh Duhamel who has been in blockbuster movies and starred in a successful tv show may still not be that well known.

Michael Strahan is better known by the NFL crowd. I assume that if he does end up on this show that he'll leave the Fox NFL pre-game show because I believe their studio is in Los Angeles.

And the point was made that Kelly Ripa was hardly a household name and was Kathy Lee even one before her?

I believe these types of shows work best when the co-hosts interact well with each other. The rest falls into place. Michael Strahan just seems to have more of an "interactive" personality than Cameron Mathison.

• Members

I was gonna say this, too. Kelly was a soap star and Kathie Lee was a footballer's wife (and had sung on Name That Tune, where the most she got to say was "La la la la la la la laaaa la la laaaaa." Strahan is a former football star and co-host of FOX's NFL pre-show, so he's way more well-known than Kelly and KL were when they were hired. I'll be interested to see how they work together.

• Members

Not to mention the fact that Seacrest and Mathison can be pretty fake and obnoxious. Live! doesn't need one of those plastic host types, it needs personalities who will just lay back and chill and let the stories from the night before flow without listening to themselves speak.

Strahan's hiring reminds me of a previous guest co-host who did awesomely well, basketball player Jayson Williams. This was before he got in all that trouble, and there was quite a buzz about where his hosting career might go.

• Members

Regis wasn't exactly a household name, either.

Prior to seeing Regis & Kathie Lee in syndication

I knew Regis from his brief NBC talks show with Mary Hart and his short-lived Lifestyles with Regis Philbin show on Lifetime cable.

I knew Kathie Lee from Name That Tune, but I also I knew her from Good Morning America where she was a correspondent and occasional substitute co-host.

They were quite equal, for those like me, outside of the New York area that didn't have access to Regis' " local piece of slime" show until it went national with Kathie.

• Members

Regis was well-known in the L.A. market too, and nationally for The Joey Bishop Show. He was essentially a second banana who spent years building his career as a solo guy, and later, first banana to Kathie Lee and Kelly. Look at Regis when someone like Don Rickles is in the room. He immediately shrinks and is right back at home in the second banana spot.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived