Y&R - May Discussion Thread

• Members

Good grief. That was the weirdest ending to a show. Daniel & that Zima creature tie the knot in front of Sheryl Underwood (well, Zima Creature said "Ah duh." I assume that was an "I do"). Instead of going to kiss her, Daniel grabs the baby and gives Zima Creature a quizzical look. That Zima creature starts boohooing. WTF?

Also, I think we can safely say that Ricky is probs a serial killer-in-waiting. I sort of want him to succeed where Phyllis is concerned.

Dear lord, Giggly and Nick telling Michael about the engagement/pregnancy and pleading with him to "keep it on the down-low." Haven't they already told everybody at this point?

Avery: "It's all my fault that Daisy came to town." No, honey, it's Phyllis's.

You know, I bitch like hell about this show, but I have been pretty glued to it the past week or so. I know everybody despises Shictor but people are buzzing about the pairing, it is grounded in some history (well, Jack Smith-established history) and while I'm no Shictor shipper (try saying that five times fast), at least it is causing some genuine drama.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sharon's stories always get buzz, but the buzz is people being amazed at what a desperate whore the show has made her out to be. People also buzzed about Adam having Ashley violated by Molester MD.

• Members

Sure and I don't quite mean the buzz those stories generated (especially the latter). I'm talking about Sharon becoming lady of the manor and possibly lording it over Nikki, Nick, Adam and Phyllis, not burning fetuses in the fireplace. As far as the "desperate whore" tag, that is established lore now (much to my chagrin) as a way of propping up Y&R's pet Giggly Heffa. It predates the current writing regime by TWO regimes. It is entrenched in the toxic Y&R environment and, sadly for Sharon Case, it is not going to change. So if it means she gets given [!@#$%^&*] (as usual) but manages to eke out a subtle [!@#$%^&*]-you to her detractors both on screen and off, I am all for it.

Also, marrying her way up the social ladder is kindy of soapy, no? I'm just so sick of boring stories like Chloe & Kevin looking for their dream house together and Miller sounding like he just got off a 48-hour bender in Vegas, or FauxToria even existing, or that Zima creature "terrorizing" Lauren with her noxious Valley accent, that I'll take what I can get.

• Members

The main problem with lady of the manor lording over the family is the Newmans aren't written as a family. Nick, Victoria, Adam, and Abby don't seem like siblings and their relationships with Victor are mostly about how he can destroy their lives or how they can suck up to him.

I get that the idea of Sharon and Victor should cause drama, but the Newmans are just too far gone as characters, IMO.

• Members

You could say that about the entire cast. I mean, I could watch somebody like Jill all day, and I like Avery an awful lot. But you'd prob point out that Jill is written completely OOC and therefore no longer viable, while Avery has been boxed in as Giggly Heffa's fall guy. And you'd be right. :) It doesn't mean I don't love them, though, or want to watch them. Maybe the end is nigh for me and Y&R and I will ditch it soon, as so many people who used to contribute to this thread have done. But there are still a few tiny nuggets for me to enjoy, so I am going to enjoy them for now.

I'm not really a fan fic person but honestly, I am missing Drucilla so much these days that if I were running the show, I would try to hire her back. I'd get rid of the dead weight (that includes Kevin, I'm afraid, though I still think Chloe is salvagible, strangely enough), restore Jabot's past glory and have My Ashley :lol: running the store. I would recast Victoria with Sarah Brown. I would recast Lily with Davetta Sherwood again. I would get rid of Tucker, but have Timothy J. Stickney come in as a wealthy publisher (and Drucilla's mysterious benefactor -- it's a long story) he can actually go toe-to-toe with TGVN. I don't think EB would have a problem with an AA rival on an equal footing with him, far from it, actually. I would have Christine come back. I would have Giggly Heffa go definitively crazy if La Stafford refused to act in scenes with Rowell. Oh, the things I would do! :lol:

• Members

No, it's not you. I enjoy debating with you about this. I agree with your points about the terminal state this show is in. I just wanted to explain why I am still clawing on at this point. Perhaps not for much longer given this latest firing.

• Members

Something tells me the "suicide" is not all it appears. Rick has BAD genes - Izzy and Patty, what do you expect? He'll be sent away and not a minute too soon. Paul will get his every six-month visit to the psych ward - just like with Patty.

Regarding MS and VR, I really don't think it will be an issue if VR comes back. First, MS has been very complimentary about VR - in the interview when she explained what happened; 2) she consulted with VR when she was doing her baby thing (not exactly the type of thing you do with someone you hate - I'm sure MS has other people she could turn to); 3) Phyllis/Dru had the best frenemy thing in daytime (when has another show featured two women in the same shot - that awesome mid-show bumper) 4) it's awesome to have that backstage drama, etc. (As I recall, Peter and Eric had a huge fistfight on the set in 1991.) and 5) the audience DEMANDS to see it. I just want Phyllis to be the one to discover Dru is alive. THAT would provide a lot of comedy in itself. It's all hype. Y&R is just foolish not to bring VR back and if others have a problem with it, too darn bad. (See #5.)

• Members

Well, I don't know if the situation behind the scenes is as cut-and-dried as you suggest (VR refuted some of MS's comments that you cite). I wish it were! Also, if it were just hype, VR would have come back earlier. God, just thinking about all that exhausts me.

ITA that the whole thing could be used very effectively by Y&R if VR were to return, though. VERY effectively, providing they locked that backstage [!@#$%^&*] down tight. It would be a great promo -- "Guess who's back? And look who's pissed!" Nevermind Phick -- that (fr)enemyship between Phyllis and Drucilla was Y&R's true audience draw.

Archived