Lifetime: Devious Maids

Cheap21

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
  • Members

Where to begin....

1. Eva Longoria frustrates the hell out of me. Sometimes, she'll blurt out some crystal clear logic that showcases her as more self-aware and intelligent than she is giving credit for, only to pull some stupid ish like this. And no, I don't buy for a second that she's got few choices as a Latina in Hollywood because Salma Hayek (hell, even JLo) isn't promoting crap like this and they're at the same level of the power playing field.

2. I like Judy Reyes and would die if La Lucci were to grace my small screen again, but I can't with this show. Not when there have been television shows and movies that have transcended these bullshit stereotypes.

3. Though I've never bothered to tune into Desperate Housewives (for reasons that I won't get into over here, as I'd derail this thread), I've heard enough about Marc Cherry's suspect treatment of Black characters during Alfre Woodard's stint enough to not trust him as far as I can throw him when it comes to depicting Latina women onscreen.

I'd rather see a TV version of Tortilla Soup than what Eva Longoria is trying to sell here. No, it isn't the deepest source material, but at least I know that the lead female characters aren't going to be employed as fvcking maids.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived