Bleakest soap exits

• Members

I think you've got it totally right. Someone low on the food chain, likely a script writer, knew what was happening with Iris' exit and tried their best to give her a bleak exit that properly reflected the character.

And the official line from Carmen Duncan is that she quit to travel the world with a rich boyfriend, which she did, till 2000. Moved back to Australia, was diagnosed and treated for breast cancer and now busies herself as a socialite in Sydney.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So how would you classify the following UK soap exits:

Emmerdale: Kim Merchant takes off in a helicopter with a bag of cash, her baby and her name (Kim Merchant? No! Kim Tate!")

EastEnders: Peggy Mitchell. The Vic burns, Phil goes on a bender and Peggy just walks away.

Coronation Street: Liz McDonald. Her head swirls with flashbacks of times in the Rovers, turns off the lights, locks up the pub, gets in a cab headed for the airport with "Go For It!" as her last line.

• Members

And is a board member/fundraising officer for a breast cancer charity, I believe? Yes, Carmen Duncan is fabulous, and it's more than consolation to think of her overcoming adversity and living the life that Iris had lived for so long.

I still wish they had resolved the Iris loose end before the show went off, though. Even to the very end, I could always see how Iris would have fit in (and vastly improve) the current stories. When that Jordan Stark/Lumina nonsense first started, and it was still somewhat ambiguous as far as whether something supernatural was really going on, I so wanted Iris to be behind it. Or, better yet, with the Corys having fallen on hard times and Iris probably being richer than any of them by that point, Rachel could have just gone to visit Iris and seek out her help in fending off this mysterious new guy who had bought the local haunted house - being sure, after having lived in a soap town for long enough, that he must have had some sinister agenda. Iris would have wasted no time in checking The Witches of Eastwick out of the prison library and recruiting this random guy who had Rachel so spooked to step up his game, so that the family would be paranoid enough to help Iris get paroled so that she would be their ally.

• Members

I thought I was the only one! Well I guess I was alive by the time BM's Iris left Texas. I do have memories of Beverlee as Alex on GL, so finding out that she originated the role was icing on the cake. But all I knew was that Carmen's Iris was often the best part of AW when I watched at that point, no matter how insignificantly she was being written as being.

• Members

I've only seen some glimpses of Beverlee as Iris (I haven't gotten around to watching Texas yet), but I adored Carmen as Iris. Witty, yet able to break your heart in an instant. Beautiful, clever, more than able to deal with the fearsome goddess that was Rachel Cory (I loved their quasi-understanding of each other which started after Mac's death), and always just a little bit superior to most of those around her. She had star quality. Carmen was born in the wrong era.

• Members

I thought Liz's exit was rushed and awkward, as it came on the end of a bizarre "comedy" story where her soulmate Jim held a bank hostage. I think they had some anger towards the actress, based on her real life issues, and it showed in the writing.

Kim's exit is considered one of the best ever on British soaps. Amazingly enough she wouldn't have even been brought back from the dead a few years before that if the actor who played her husband hadn't wanted to leave. Kim returned from the dead to give him a fatal heart attack.

I really liked Peggy's exit, I thought it was poignant, full of pathos, especially the last look back.

• Members

That was really depressing, especially in contrast with the much happier endings everyone else in the episode had. He deserved much better than that and it annoys me that Reids' death was done partly because they wanted Katie to have a happy ending with Chris. They weren't even a popular couple.

• Members

The raging hard-on Goutman had for Katie really ruined the show in some ways the last couple of years. She should have been written out after Mike left. Even if Columbino had had a lick of chemistry with Cosgrove, there wasn't enough time for them to be "popular".

• Members

Ah come on, at least Reid a short term character had a dramatic exit and the Luke actor got some meaty material to try and act out (even if he couldn't) Poor Lisa got I believe under three minutes of air time and that was all in response to dealing with her archnemises John and Lucinda. She wasnt there for her grandkid going off to school, or Bob's final farewell to Memorial and Oakdale. They left her as kind of a pathetic, lonely figure which what Lisa would have been terrified of becoming.

• Members

DAYS: Addie Olson beats leukemia only to be hit and killed by a car. That was pretty bleak.

Although I think Beverlee McKinsey's Iris was the most delicious character in the history of soaps, I did come to like Carmen Duncan. I just had to accept that that somehow an ultra-sophisticated ice queen had become a hot-tempered Aussie.

Archived