Bizarre/Tasteless Sitcom Episodes

EricMontreal22

• Members

Anyone else remember the fifth-season, "Rashomon"-like episode of "Good Times," where Willona's figuring out how the couch was burned suddenly becomes a PSA about young kids (Penny, in particular) and smoking at the end? For me, just the premise -- "Uh-oh, who burned the couch???" -- was the absolute nadir of the entire series and proof that it needed more Esther Rolle and less clueless writers.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not sure if this is very bizarre or tasteless, but it's certainly something I haven't seen very often, even on "quirky" British comedies.

Moving Wallpaper, which was one of the generic Office-type shows (insane boss, flawed but mostly likeable employees) had one of those slow-building romances between the sweet PA, Kelly, and the office lothario who was waiting for her true love, etc. etc., Tom. In the final episode, he finally wanted to ask her out for a real date, but before he could, he went out for some drinks with his friend and colleague, lonely-in-love, mostly sad sack Carl.

The next morning, the camera pans to Tom and Carl, in bed, obviously naked under the sheets, and when they wake up, obviously stunned and confused and a little horrified.

As the episode goes on and the main story takes over (everyone losing their jobs and striking to get arrested, or something), this is blurted out to a bewildered Kelly, and you get one of the most...creative quasi-cliffhangers ever.

• Members

Yes! Thelma's version even makes it to the opening credits for that season, lol. Now I am totally reminded of "Roshomama", the Mama's Family episode where Mama gets knocked out and ends up in the hospital. Carol is [!@#$%^&*] gimarious as Eunice, especially in Eunice's version, "Needs sugar! :-x "

Hilarious, not "gimarious"! I'm SONing on my Droid.

• Members

I thought the last 2 seasons were either terrible or just not funny. Season 7 was the transitional season from good to bad. But some of those oddball episodes were fun. I liked the "That's Our Rosie" spoof on Leave it to Beaver as well as the Gilligan's Island tribute. Never understood the point of that Halloween episode with all the hippies and such.

I'm surprised they never poke fun of itself over the fact that Roseanne was pregnant for 14 months (September of Season 7 through Halloween of Season 8).

• Members

LOL, these were the days when we thought we needed meat (the "only!" protein) to survive. I know I should never say never, but I'm going to go right on ahead and say it, I could NEVER bring myself to eat dog food. It's made to look appealing to us humans, but the smell of it makes me nauseous. Poor Gertie. Now I'm imagining her opening that can, slopping it all out on the frying pan, and merrily humming as she fries it up, a single tear streaming down her cheek.

• Members

LoL!!! You sure draw one hell of a picture there! I can say it, too.. I'd never eat dog food, either. I know enough about plants to go out and graze if I need to. There is a dog food plant up in Kansas City, and the stench that comes from it is ungodly! I suppose dog food is better than killing yourself. This MORON that was friends with my sister when I was a kid (Him and his wife were religious fanatics) went out and ate poke salat in the middle of the damn summer and almost killed himself. He had to go get his stomach pumped and spend about three days in the hospital. Some people are just too stupid for words.

Archived