How would you rate GL, ATWT, AMC finales?

• Members

I'm willing to bet OLTL does a cliffhanger, too. It would be a smart idea to make viewers want to tune in next week on The Online Network; hopefully, such a move will drum up a little bit more buzz, too.

I like the feeling of Pine Valley, Oakdale and Springfield living on, too, but think a finale should feature something special and be some what cathartic for the viewer. The end of the World was just another day in Oakdale save a little extra airtime for vets and a number of quickly rushed exits. During the final week of As the World Turns, Goutman either killed off or implied the departure of no less than nine characters therefore breaking up what was left of Oakdale for good. It was like he didn't want the show to live on without him.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nine? Casey and Ali were moving so he could go to college. Libby went to college. Gabriel (in no way, shape or form important to ATWT) was going to Montega. John and Lucinda were going to hook up and travel. Bob and Kim were retiring to Arizona. Even with Nancy and Reid's deaths (and I have to believe Nancy's was based simply on Helen Wagner's death...) there were plenty of people left in Oakdale. They were all happy to move on in their lives, but they all still had family in Oakdale. It's hardly some biblical exodus.

• Members

Nonetheless, other than Nancy (which Goutman didn't have control over) and Reid, all the characters were doing something positive in their lives. The town wasn't destroyed; half the cast wasn't brutally murdered by some whack job. Characters "moved on" when GL ended too...those kids left for college, Reva didn't know her legal husband was still alive, Dinah and Mallet were kicking around Europe together, Ed and Holly were going to shack up and travel the world.

• Members

Agree with you there. However, for some reason I did not like the idea of Bob and Kim moving to Arizona full time. They both seemed a bit too "vital," to just sit around a townhouse and Bob golfed all day, and I mean, who the hell is Kim going to give the kiddo speech to, Miriam Goldstien for butting in line at the Early Bird special potluck? Whatever sins Gautman did, he at least kept Bob and Kim in the action (not as much as was needed) and working with the younger people. Who was to carry on the Hughes tradition...sullen angry Tom and butchy Margo????

Okay, I thought to much about it I know!

• Members

^^^^LOL...I was going to say the exact same thing in my last post, but didn't want to sound like a dork. I was sure that in six months, Kim would have been just as anxious to get back to Oakdale and WOAK. Being "retired" would have driven her nuts.

• Members

Are you implying I sound like a dork tongue.png You just sat back and said, "I'll let Mitch take it!"

Agree that Kim would be ready to get back into it, maybe Bob not so much but then, Susan is still in town and with Kim working....LOL And really, with Nancy gone who the hell is going to take care of Lisa and keep her in line!!

It really is sad that ATWT still had so much potential, especially that their vets were so vital, strong and well drawn characters. Bob, KIm, Lisa, John, Lucinda, Susan..all of them could have still been bouncing off of one another and their families for years to come.

Archived