AMC: Shocking new chapter in Lucci's book

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I totally agree. I defend Robin when she makes good points (emphasis on GOOD POINTS), and I defend Victoria and Kim and all of the other "difficult women" when they make good points. When people bash them, though, I understand why -- I don't, under any circumstances, think it's right (except for situations like the Robin/Oprah thing), but I can at least get why someone would view them as "just bitter" or whatever. They don't deal in bullsh!t, and people who don't mince words usually do get snide comments from people who are too lazy to actually listen to what's going on.

• Members

Given that ABC still owns AMC, Lucci had a lot of courage to speak up against them. As a payback, she could very well be treated as a non-entity during the online run.

Lucci will have a lot of success after AMC, but I do not believe it will be as an actress on a hit show. (I am sorry for offending her fans this way, but it is true that one actress seldom portrays two different and successful characters.) Instead, she will be very successful as a commercial spokeswoman (in a fashion that is almost identical to that of Suzanne Somers). In fact, she has already had a lot of experience and success in this field. (While Lucci has been nothing but a class act during her time at AMC, I do not view her favorably for peddling overpriced products.)

• Members

I just hope that newspaper story is accurate and someone isn't just gossiping and putting words in Lucci's mouth that she didn't say (or write).

Lucci must figure she's done with ABC to go off like that, especially since the chapter was put in the paperback just being released and not the original version. "The View" AMC tribute should be very interesting. I wonder if any of the View women will go there and actually ask Lucci about it? Does Susan have any other appearances she's making in the next few weeks?

As for the update to the memoir, does anyone know if a Kindle version of a book ever gets updated when a new version is put out, and if so, would one be able to just download the Kindle version again, this time with the update?

• Members

Getting back to the Susan Lucci/Suzanne Somers comparasion, the only similarties between the two actresses are that they are big name stars who went the infomercial route. Other than that, they could not be more different: Lucci has been an extraordinary team player, while Somers held Three's Company hostage and didn't give a rat's a$$ about the welfare of that show.

It is amazing how one's public persona is often so different from the truth. Among non-soap viewers, many believe that Lucci is a bitc#y diva who is obsessed with making AMC all about her. On the other hand, so many think that Bob Barker is this benevolent, old man who was a joy to work for; little did they know that he treated the models like s#it and got insanely jealous whenever attention was taken away from him and towards the announcer or one of the models. (This jealousy was one of the factors as to why Rod Roddy was almost never seen on camera during his final couple of years, as well as a reason--along with the constant lawsuits--why TPIR stopped having permanent models during the last five years of the Barker era.)

• Members

"Madea's Big Break" -- At last, Mabel Simmons, better known as "Madea," gets the one thing she don't need: her own TV show. Specifically, a courtroom show where the stripper-cum-foster mother dishes out her own unique brand of justice. And playing the part of her harried, drama-prone producer? None other than Robin Strasser.

• Members

In Somers' defense: she was, for all intents and purposes, the primary reason for her show's success. John Ritter brought the physical humor, but Somers brought the "jiggle," and that's what pushed 3's C to number-one. (I don't know what the hell Joyce DeWitt brought, except maybe her eye-liner?) Whether she's being truthful when she insists she wanted only to strong-arm ABC into giving equal compensation (meaning, increased salaries and profit participation points) to her co-stars as well as to herself is one thing. (ABC had a cash cow in their show, says Somers, and she wanted them to share the wealth with the cast that made it possible.) But the fact remains the three major cast members were earning salaries far below such colleagues as Carroll O'Connor ("Archie Bunker's Place") and Alan Alda ("M*A*S*H"); and especially where DeWitt and Somers were concerned, such practice screamed sexism.

Did she and her husband have all this in mind as they were negotiating? Again, that's hard to say. Maybe she was just a greedy, self-centered bitch. But I think the network needs to be held accountable in this situation as well.

• Members

Khan, your points in Somers' defense are well-taken. While I do believe she was extremely greedy, ABC executives were also sexist in the way they treated her. And, there is no denying she brought in way more viewers than DeWitt did, and probably at least as many as did Ritter.

Regarding my comment that one actress seldom portrays two different and successful characters, I was referring to television in general.

• Members

Oh well, the thread's derailed anyway. I might as well chime in. TC was never #1, ever (season-wise). And it kept high ratings up until the final season, when the simple fact that it was an aging show did it in more than anything else. I love Suzanne, and I totally prefer the early seasons, but her departure didn't kill the show at all.

But if Susan Lucci had departed from AMC at any point during the last 15-20 years, though, it would have TOTALLY tanked! (see what I did there?)

• Members

Jenilee Harrison sucked and looked like a horse, but I really liked Priscilla Barnes, and thought the show was still quite good when she was on.

Suzanne's departure didn't really hurt the show in the longrun in terms of being funny and whatnot. I thought the show survived quite well without her. Three's Company was never regarded as some type of quality television in the first place - funny as hell at times yes, but nothing deeper than that.

Archived