Joan Collins on Fat People, Asians, Reagan love, and Warren Beatty, etc

EricMontreal22

• Members

One last comment, and I'll shut up, for now tongue.png I've never battled weight issues--It's helped I think that I'm vegetarian and despite giving up on ever being a pro dancer, have kept it up, but I have a twin sister who battled bulimia for years (and still somewhat is), and a mother who has battled her weight due to thyroid issues (which are under control now but she still is overweight, though not obese and thanks to her vegetarian and halth concsious diet actually has no cholesterol or health issues unlike her MUCH leaner boyfriend, who somehow seems baffled by the fact he has so may more typical weight issues than she does and doesn't seem to get why...). I think it is too simplific--and I appreciate your background DaytimeFan and know you know what you speak of, but--to say there are very few reasons to be overweight, but regardless, it's much more about the way Joan said it. And of course... that;s a huge part of her appeal--how blunt she is, and I'm sure she knows that.

LOL biggrin.png It's one thing to find her entertaining, the way you would find your fun grandma who you realize is racist and you can't take anything she says seriously, but it does seem (from the forum I found this interview on alone) that many people feel she's preaching the truth. Again, that's actually not Joan's fault, or responsibility, but I think it's worthy of argument.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree. I respect your background, as well, DaytimeFan, but I don't feel you can just dismiss weight-gain like that. Food can be a serious addiction. As someone who struggled very much with food addiction in relation to depression and lack of self-esteem when I was much younger, I can wholeheartedly assure you that gaining weight/ being overweight is NOT a choice. You can hit that gym everyday. You can try to eat smaller meals. But when food is a coping mechanism, an escaping mechanism, that weight is there to stay. So maybe she's been pregnant, but it's not the same thing. And I'm assuming you've never been overweight yourself (though pardon me if I'm wrong), because I don't honestly believe someone who has been could say something so callous or agree with the comments this woman made.

• Members

That's it--I admit I come from a shrink heavy background, having seen one for some childhood issues off and on since I was really young--but I know the people in my family who have struggled with weight issues (either way) have also struggled with extreme sexual abuse. It's a complex issue because many factors are involved, but that's true of alcoholism too (didn't Joan have issues with drunk?), and drug dependency, etc--by no means is it all about self control or one or two health issues. I don't think the weight epidemic in the USA (and, ok here in Canada too) is all because everyone has suffered some form of abuse, by any means. Not even close. But it is a much more complex issue.

• Members

I typed out a long reply, but I'm not sure whether this is the right time to post it. We'll see what DaytimeFan (and others) have to say in reply to my post and Eric's, and then maybe I'll share.

All I'll say is that I was not physically or sexually abused EVER in my life, but I know that is a huge cause for food addiction. My issues with weight stemmed from depression as well, and I'll leave it at that. For now.

• Members

Well a background of abuse does play into depression, often--so it's not so far removed in that way, I do think it's psychological as much as physical. (and I mean look at a famous example like Oprah who has the best chefs and personal trainers behind her and has never really been able to shake the weight)

• Members

Oh I agree. I was simply saying for me, MY depression didn't stem from any form of abuse. It stemmed from my own problems with self-esteem and self-worth issues. However, you're right. Many times abuse plays into it. I was just saying that wasn't the case for me, personally.

• Members

Reagan was just all around very backward a lot of issues, without getting too political, I'll just say he set the ball rolling on a lot of the political theatrics that go on today. I do have to admit, I'm not that well read in Thatcher's positions outside of economics, as I've always read about her economic style, but I'm not surprised to read that.

• Members

Absolutely. And It aggravates me more than ANYTHING else when people who have never been in that situation want to judge and make rude, ignorant comments.

I guess that's what you have to do to stay relevant, when your career dried up 25 years ago and no one is begging you to take any roles...

Archived