GH: Classic Thread

• Members

Mo is too tired to be frontlining the show. He was too tired ten years ago. He's even more haggard now. Ron knew this (for awhile), even Bob Guza knew it which is why he began transitioning Sonny's role in the late 2000s, possibly in part due to his own flagging interest in MB/Sonny. It was a wise move and felt organic. caroline and I have already outlined what we'd do about this so we won't go over it again as we prepare our master plans. 

Please register in order to view this content

He was!

I would kill for the new MST3K (going strong on its own new app/platform) to do some of ATWT, SFT, or whatever is available at the same length. They still do shorts, and just did one last week. But I bet the rights issues are even thornier today. I seem to recall one of the stars/writers commenting on their affection for morose Jessie Brewer.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I actually like the current version of Laura.  Towards the end of Labine’s run, she acted as if she had never been in a dangerous situation before.  I get she wanted stability, but there was a way to do that without making her seem like such a basket case, and wet blanket.  Then Guza came along and she was an emotional mess for years.  It all made sense and was in character, but often it seemed like they had just forgotten Laura was an active part of adventuring with Luke.

Now she takes risks again (like the climax of the story with Cyrus, going after Victor), but she still has that family story keeping her grounded.  I think she and Kevin are incredibly boring, but I also don’t see a way to break them up with the show the way it is now.  I do think Lulu and Lucky are needed.

I don’t think Laura and Scotty work because with her he is always trying to be the better version of himself and failing, and she seems to always realize he loves the part of her that was his version of Laura.  I think Scotty was well served in the long run by what happened, even if I think sweet Scotty was adorable and Kin was much more handsome than TG.

It was so clear Guza had moved Jason into the central axis of the three characters, and once he created Dante it seemed pretty clear Sonny was not going to be the apex anymore.  Involved due to all those ties, yes.  But no longer the focal point character.  I know we have discussed this many times, but when Jason and Carly start saying they made a mistake bringing Michael into Sonny’s world, that’s a serious tonal shift.  Follow that up with what I consider to be the actual final scene of MB’s and Guza’s Sonny, when he tells Brenda power is always going to come first… a perfect exit and I don’t really think MB or the show has had him be remotely the same since, and not in a good way.

• Members

I've said it on PTV before, but I'm never writing for the soaps, so what the hell: Genie and Charles Shaughnessy have smashing antagonistic chemistry and that's where the action is for me. I would have Laura dragooned into marrying Victor in order to save the day and/or Port Charles, leaving poor Kevin in the lurch, struggling to extricate his wife, and ultimately once again imprisoned and tormented by the marauding Ryan, who would be in league with the Cassadines on some mischief.

Laura and Victor's marriage of convenience would have absolutely no romantic angle but the interplay as they mutually despise each other would be fantastic. It would last 6-9 months as part of an ongoing intrigue in which they are shackled together by some outside necessity a la the Mixed Marrieds story of the '90s, during which time Lucy would be the one to discover what is up with her beloved "Doc" and free him. Meanwhile, Laura would liberate herself from the Cassadine fold with the aid of Scorpio, Anna and a handsome new Black, British WSB agent. This WSB agent would slowly be moved into position as Laura's next love interest, even as Laura and Kevin are finally reunited and struggle to put their marriage back together. Which of course will not work out. That's amore!

• Members

I think that's Sonny's final scene too. To me, as I have always said, there has never been any point in playing Sonny on frontburner or with any women ever since that scene aired. Until or unless he changes permanently for Brenda or some other woman, that was the final statement.

• Members

I will make no bones about it-I think Sonny was an awesome character.   He is just a character with a clear expiration date.  I think Sonny leaving Brenda at the altar was an obvious end for Sonny's storyline.  I think early Carson was good and gave him life but there is really no way to make Sonny the main guy on the show.  He had 1 or 2 good pairings, some good stories 30 years ago, and is an all around douche lol.  You can only go in circles about his business for so long.  If he's not willing to change for Carly/Brenda, what's the point?   Even Luke had growth under Labine (but did regress in a horrible way).  Sonny hasn't changed in 30 years and they have saddled him with numerous kids and romances.  It was fantastic when Brenda was the woman he truly loved and didn't know how to handle the emotions.  I can rewatch their romance all day everyday.  I can't stand Sonny now.  MB has regressed as an actor and couldn't appear more bored.  He doesn't even learn his lines.  I think MB is a good guy and I love his mental health work and will stan him and Brenda to the end of time, but c'mon...He hasn't been a useful character in years.

• Members

The only other road for me would him actually being with a partner that supports and is allowed into his mob life fully.  What could have been with Claudia, even with her instability.  Because Sonny is not stabile himself- he is selfish, volatile, impulsive and dangerous.  The only thing they haven’t really explored is him seeing himself in a partner and trying to deny his own destruction, or lean into it and go out with a blaze of glory.  If anything, I can see a pretty direct line between Guza’s Sonny towards the end of his run and ultimately Jason and Carly having to deal with him to save everyone else.  Power corrupts.  But that was back when this show was exploring darkness at all times.

• Members

I just don't see how you do that.  It would diminish the partner to allow that and I don't think the audience would accept that type of women.  Because I think any Sonny fan ships him with either Brenda or Carly and you want him to be better.  Idk, your idea is good I just thing any effort into Sonny died a long time ago.  He's reckless! He's off his meds!  He's dangerous!  Blah.  Send him off screen to Rome to marry Brenda or kill him off.  

• Members

Obviously it would never happen, but David Harewood would be perfect for Laura's new man that you have described.

Any thoughts on Scotty? Would you pair him with someone new, reunite with an old flame like Bobbie, or pair him up with someone we know but new to each other? Or maybe not pair him up with anyone at all? I could guess the dream is always to have Serena back, and I've always thought it a shame that his history past '77 has become an afterthought. Poor Brooke Bentley lol

• Members

I had an actor in mind, but yes, both would never do it lol. Harewood is wonderful - I got to see him live in Julie Taymor's Midsummer Night's Dream in Brooklyn as Oberon.

I have no idea what I'd do with Scott. I don't have a ton of fondness for Obrecht for many reasons relating to her origin, but Kathleen Gati is great and they are fun to watch together so I'd let her be around for a bit before the hammer came down on ol' Liesl. I think Scott's recurring role is the right place for him. I'd figure out love in the future at some point. But yes, both Scott and Lucy/Kevin's kids would be back and in major roles on canvas, so there's that.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I do find them boring as hell, lol. But that's also a function of their simply not drawing on their pasts and similarities, like Laura's traumas as well as Kevin and his family's past (not just Ryan, but Victor and all that spy shít). A lot of people like them and it makes Genie happy, though, so I would def play their string out and the drama and heartache for a long stretch, including a reunion, before finally breaking them up.