Harry Smith leaves CBS for NBC

soapfan770

• Members

Time and time again Harry Smith has been under used and underrated by CBS. I think that the CBS morning show(This Morning) was at its best when Harry Smith and Paula Zahn were the hosts. The Early Show should have reunited them, they once took This Morning to #2 beating out Good Mornina America(Newman/McRee era). Heck I hear Mark McEwen is doing a lot better these days too. Oh well:

Harry Smith Departing CBS News for NBC

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm surprised. I never thought he'd leave CBS. I'm not sure what is at NBC, other than perma-smug, orange Brian Williams, but good luck to him.

I still miss the old CBS This Morning days. The Early Show has just been a misfire.

• Members

Such a misfire they put Harry Smith ON to replace Gumble. Hard to believe that was so long ago.

Rumor has it Smith is allegedly furious between CBS moving him off the Early Show and being passed over for the CBS Evening News anchor spot which he had frequently subbed for Katie for.

• Members

Here are the morning news show numbers

Today 3.7/15 4,985 Total Viewers

GMA 3.3/13 4,444 Total Viewers

Early Show 1.6/6 2,130 Viewers

The new team of the Early Show hasn't made a dent in the ratings while GMA is closing the gap on the Today show.

• Members

I didn't like Harry Smith I'm glad Scott got the job over him. He is a better fit.

NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams 1.8

ABC World News with Diane Sawyer 1.5

CBS Evening News with Scott Pelley 1.3

I cant stand "Brian Williams..so bland and boring to watch.

• Members

Smith has every reason to be angry at CBS for the way they treated him. He and Zahn were the only decent morning team that network ever had.

Off topic, but I had no idea that the ratings for the nightly newscasts were that horrendous. Those are the same ratings that are getting soaps cancelled. I assumed that ratings would be considerably higher since so many additional people are at home at 6:30 than during the afternoon.

• Members

I'm not shocked. They fired him from the Early Show and he didn't get the Evening News gig. Only thing at CBS left for him to move to was 60 Minutes.

I'm glad he didn't get the Evening News gig. I wanted Scott Pelley to get it when Rather left & glad he got it when Katie left. I liked Harry on the Early Show, although I liked Byrant Gumbel's stint on the Eerly Show more.

Archived