CBS Evening News - new anchor named

DRW50

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree with Y&RWorldTurner, I like the choice of Scott Pelley a lot. I think he should have gotten it over Couric 5 years ago. Other than raising Murrow or Cronkite from the dead, Pelley's one of the few great journalists left IMO. I've never understood why it took CBS so long to poach someone from 60 minutes for the Evening News spot, they should have did it back in the early 90s when they realized that Dan Rather was a failure. Unlike the Evening News & the Early Show which has been stuck in 3rd place for forever, 60 minutes is still the most watched "new magazine" program & still well respected. Heck in the 91 & 92 TV seasons was the most watched program, so people obviously trusted the 60 minutes people far more than they did anybody else at CBS News. I think Jeff Fager, who was the exec producer of 60 Minutes, now CBS News President, can really get CBS News Division in shape if given the chance & baring it's not too late. They shouldn't have allowed the Evening News to stay in 3rd for so long.

• Members

Schieffer has said he doesn't want the job permanently.

I like Brian Williams, but more b/c of his appearances outside "NBC Nightly News." (Say what you want, but the dude is funny.) I've a feeling, too, he'll eventually get out of the news business altogether and work exclusively in entertainment.

• Members

While Scott Pelley is a good choice, I think that CBS should have picked Russ Mitchell instead. In fact, I'm a little surprised that Mitchell did not get it because (1) he seemed to have been lobbying really hard for the job and (2) selecting him would have given CBS bragging rights about having the first African-American anchorman. (Let me strongly state, however, that I am against any sort of affirmative action, as I believe that Mitchell should have been awarded the anchor chair due to his strong qualifications, not because he is black.)

Regardless of who was chosen, however, I have the feeling that CBS Evening News will remain in last place for a long time to come due to the lack of budget (and number of correspondents) at CBS News as well as the legacy of tarnished ratings (and image) that Rather and Couric have left the program with.

Archived