Soaps on the 'Net

• Members

I can't really track down the clip that easily because I have a cap now and I will blow through it looking for too much, but to add on the fantastic clip you chose, I wanted to submit some of the Guiding Light scenes with Maggie Scott. Maggie was in love with Bill Bauer, but she was forced to stay with her controlling husband, who did not even want her to leave the house. Maggie's struggle for independence, her refusal to let him do to their daughter Peggy what he does to her, and Bert's barely contained anger and despair over the situation - this could easily make a websoap. This material is more timely than ever.

http://glmemories.blogspot.com/2008/09/love-and-anger.html

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I watched the first clip -- should I say the first act! -- which was a long (by today's standards) scene of 7 minutes also. It certainly got right to the point as far as the main issue (should Peggy be kissing a boy her father disapproves of in his own home?) to exposing the controlling, manipulative nature of her father's relationship with her and Maggie.

I thought it was a great scene. And, while the Guzas of today might dismiss it as "too femalecentric, too talky," I thought the dialogue was incredibly realistic. It certainly reminded me of actual debates I have had with my own family, even now! Peggy seemed like a shy and pretty innocent girl but there was something in her innocence that reminded me of the way teenagers still are today -- even the ones who front like they are all Gossip Girl and have slept with all these guys and partied and whatnot.

And it was refreshing to see a female character who didn't run around saying "OMG, LOOK AT ME! I'M SASSY AND SNARKY AND STAND UP FOR MYSELF! I'M GONNA KICK SOME ASS!" and actually showed us a woman standing up to her husband's condescension and hectoring.

• Members

You're right. Maggie was a real rarity, in that she was suffocated by the sexism and mental issues of her husband, and she wanted to be free. Yet she was not painted as an evil woman, as many would have been at that time, or as a neurotic shrew, or, like you get on today's soaps, some Carly Jacks monstrosity.

That's Agnes Nixon's last days at GL, I think - it's riveting stuff. And I think that, along with some of the Robin clips which are also available from around that time (Robin was having a nervous breakdown and resented her stepson, whom she felt caused her to have a miscarriage) is something which would work beautifully in a websoap format.

You let us into their world, you make us care, and we will interpret every glimpse, every syllable, and be happy to hang on for more.

• Members

LOL @ George Pilgrim.

You know, I'm very glad I took the initiative and began this discussion. It's turned into a fascinating debate over what would constitute a good web-based soap.

Archived