OLTL Tribute Thread

• Members

Nathan Fillion is the best.  He has never forgotten his daytime roots and always speaks fondly of his OLTL time.  It's also great to see cast members like Susan Diol, Tracy Melchior, Vanita Harbour, Jason-Shane Scott and  Christina Chambers there.  I wish I had been there!

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think it's Holly Gagnier (ex-Cassie).

You know, they never even considered bringing back McKenna as Joey. Not that Tom Dengen was bad, but Chris would have been a helluva lot better. He and Nathan Fillion seemed to share this similar soul in the character. I remember when Fillion first came on, as tall & different looking as he was compared to Chris, he still felt like the Joey that Chris had left with.

They were the two least memorable for me. DJ was such a weird replacement for Fillion... deep and soulful with a sense of humor, to an attention-hungry brat who thought himself "cool" when he was actually annoying. As for BMH, he wasn't annoying - but so different that he was wrong for the part. And trying to reinvent the character as Father Joe didn't make it better.

I believe he is a building contractor now... I think in an inland area of So Cal, like Indio or Palm Springs.

• Members

Am I mistaken, or has JSS "done something" to his face? He looks as if every spec of fat or softness was sucked right out of it.

I think your recognition is dead-on, Khan! That does look like Peter Strong (Bob) - the eyebrow bridge is what makes it. I never would have got that on my own.

BTW, I wonder if there are any pics of KT with Karen Witter (ex-Tinas) together. They look placed not so close by each other... which is kind of appropriate considering how different they were in the role. And weird that Mia Korf is sat next to KT. Her Blair & KT's Tina never crossed each other.

Edited by YurSoakinginit

• Members

Thanks for helping me figure out some of these people. Vanita was so underused and mistreated by ABC Daytime. 

For all the talk of backstage tension and unhappiness during Gottlieb's era, it says a lot that people who were there for such a short speck of time in the long run of things, like Mia Korf and Susan Diol, still made appearances. 

Aside from the big hair (which is more dated than how she was styled in her Blair years), Mia looks the same. 

I wonder too, although he looks better than Crystal Hunt...

• Members

I personally thought the Father Joe thing was very apt for Joey - becoming Andrew's soulful successor. I thought it made a lot of sense for the character.

I probably wouldn't still have Joey in the priesthood but I would have his connection to the faith and Andrew still be a major part of the character and his background going forward - like why he left the church.

• Members

IIRC they tried to go the Scott DeFreitas/Brian Bloom approach with Chris McKenna at first, and tested him with Reiko Aylesworth's Rebecca in '93. I remember those scenes. They then clearly concluded he was too young and SORASed. He did look (and was) very young.

The adult and very handsome McKenna would never have gotten on Brian Frons' (or Frank Valentini's) short list, even seven years ago - not a typical soap hunk, too old. Shortly thereafter I believe he turned up on Y&R and his look has always been very versatile, as I said earlier, between younger and older - but his type is just not what ABCD or Valentini's OLTL was remotely interested in.

• Members

The only Joey i didnt buy acting wise was Bruce Michael Hall. I know DJ was kinda bratty Joey but I still saw heart. BMH was Joey in name

I feel That Chris, Nathan & Tom got the heart and soul of Joey

Now for Kevins I only liked kirk, Kevin & Dan

That Blonde Kevin in 1990 was too Green same for Joey Thrower & I read he was difficult

jack Armstrong was too old. Someone who played Greg Nelson on AMC in 1986 is too old to be Kevin on OLTL in 1994-95

Ken Kitiznger loked too green 

and Tim Gibbs was "Dark and brooding" Kevin hated that

• Members

Visually speaking, BMH was not at all what I would expect one of Joe and Viki's sons to look like.

Jack Armstrong might have been a better fit as Dan Wolek.  Who knows?  If he had been successful as Dan, then it might have been a good way to keep Larry on the canvas.

Edited by Khan

• Members

He would have fit more with the somewhat goofier and more likeable persona that the last Dan had (when he wasn't being kind of crazy intense, anyway). 

I don't think Armstrong was awful, but honestly the highlight of his acting career was Eden, where he was one of the only men I've ever seen who looked good in a purple Speedo.

• Members

Mary Vernon, Katrina and Brad's baby that was switched for Jenny Wolek's baby, would have been the perfect kid to SORAS and return to exact her revenge on those that had caused her to have attachment issues. First ,with her mother and, then in her relationships; except by the time Mary grew up everyone involved had left Llandview and there had been numerous baby switches since her birth.  A Mary Vernon/Steve Grande-McGillis/CJ Roberts triangle is my fanfic dream; imagine an all switched-at-brith triangle.

• Members

Bruce Michael Hall looks more suited to be the third of a retconned set of Jessica-Natalie-Joey triplets... and definitely the youngest of the three!

And yeah, Jack Armstrong might have made a very good Dan Wolek - he even reminds me a little bit of what Joshua Cox & Steven Culp brought to their stints in the role.

• Members

I also really liked BMH as Joey. His initial re-introduction as a handsome mystery man in the first days of February '03 was brilliantly done and made Joey a presence again. Hall was very green but had real soul and pathos and even a bit of authority in his role as a curate and with his family, I felt. He clicked with Melissa, Bree, Erika and Dan Gauthier. It was sticking him in a truly horrible love triangle with Jessica Morris and Joey's cousin (Flash) that screwed him.

I think Malone and Griffith had intended to use bringing Joey (and later Kevin, the cynical, calculating mini-tycoon, his counterpoint) and the girls all back to Viki at once as bringing the show's heart back. But so many of their stories were a disaster.

Edited by Vee