OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

No, you're right, Dale. Both those events happened. I was referring to the first (meaning, 1968/1969) story. According to Soap Opera Weekly, Agnes Nixon wrote that Viki created "Niki" in order to deal with the trauma of her mother's death (and again, for the record, I agree that that was fairly lame). However, I give credit to Michael Malone for including that incident in his version of events. Aside from Victor's abuse and Tori's murdering him, he didn't create new-and-heretofore-unknown backstory like I think Sam Hall and Peggy O'Shea did in the '85 story.

Neither do I. To me, that was just stupid, plain and simple.

• Members

Right, though it was also tied into Victor wishing she had been born a boy, and all the pressures (and in a sense emotional abuse) he foisted on her.

I dunno, in this case I think it was more than justified (frankly, as good as the Tina story was to watch, more justified to retcon than retconning it with the Irene Manning stuff). Like Carl and others have said, I don't like what they did with the story after--I mean the DID story was such a triumph IMHO that it should have been the end of Nicki (soaps increasingly seemed to lose the restraingt nto to pull stories like Nicki/Vicki out every few years) and the alters, but I think the actual story was well done enough, dramatic enough, and in a sense important enough (I know someone who was dealing with repressed incestual feelings right around the same time and she said watching it, personally meant the world to me), that it justified the retcon. But then, I woulda just left it there.

I can't find this 1980 episode in the video folder here, or on youtube--Link?

I still wonder if Carlivati was going somewhere with that--it seems unlike his style to drop something changing history like that and not go with it. But I agree

• Members

I'm not refering to anyone in this thread--but it does make me laugh when some complain that they changed Victor's backstory and character too much with the DID story--yet these same people don't seem to take issue with him being this insane rich man who built Eterna, all the stuff that happened there, etc... Although I guess it does make Victor's appearance in Heaven seem odd.

• Members

I think I tend to agree with MissLlanviewPA, I'd just rather fanwank and go with my own story (rather than having had RC make even more of a mess with it). However. If it can be readdressed masterfully under SBH, I'd be all over that. Mainly because Dorian and Viki at their best (imo) is when they are knee deep in dark family drama.

• Members

Ha, good point. We can't buy abuse but we can buy Eterna. :P Yeah, re: Heaven, people said that was more fantasy and of course Victor would be in Heaven in Viki's reality. I guess fans can make what they want of that. You can even get really deep with it and say that Victor repented, confessed his sins, oh Lord...

• Members

? :(

I suppose Eterna happened at a point where the show had just gotten so outlandish so it's kinda justified. Still, I see it as far more realistic, and dramatically interesting, that this important pillar of the community was a messed up sexual abuser, than that he was building underground cities and having his daughter hypnotized to forget pregnancies, etc...