OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I admit, I've never taken to what I've seen of the Rauch era the way many have--though I do think when Peggy O'Shea was writing it was still pretty classic soap--much less so when she left (or was fired?). It does seem like Gordon Russell took some time to really find his feet with the show--after Agnes left in '73, even though she speaks about helping Russell write the show for a year after, it took till '76 or so to start to really seem like compelling soap again. It's interesting, one of LaGuardia's soap books from the mid 70s says that OLTL had already become more of a fantasy and lost its original issues. One character I wish we could see more clips of is Cathy Craig, who in the last years Nixon wrote seemed to be the show's heroine, more so than Vicki.

• Members

It's always interesting to me that Cathy was played by actresses who don't have the usual soap look, are very offcenter, at least until the end, with Jennifer Harmon.

For me the Rauch stuff is about the characters, not the stories, even though many would call those years rigidly plot-driven. There were so many strong and interesting characters you could relate to or entertained you. And even with the pervasive misogyny and violence the female characters - what soaps should be about - still had strength and drive.

• Members

I rack that up to Peggy O'Shea, who I think is such an underated soap writer. From all I've seen, the show crumbled into full on camp when Schnessel became HW--especially after a year.

All Her Children implies that Agnes thought of herself as Cathy in a way. I know she was very involved in casting back then, I wonder if the |not typical soap starlet" look was on purpose.

• Members

Peggy was certainly a superior writer to Schnessel, but I think the show was still in good hands even with him. The stories weren't as sharp, but they featured charismatic and likeable performers, and were treated seriously which made all the difference (and is why the 1988 story was much better than the 1968 stuff, IMO). Renee was a good match for Asa. Gabrielle and Tina were still fascinating, and the show succeeded in maturing Tina while keeping her naughty edge. Max was at his best and the triangle with Gabrielle and Megan worked. Even though Eterna was a very odd decision, to say the least, Megan was a delight - my only complaint is I wish they'd taken a little longer for her to become close to Viki. Sarah was a wonderful ingenue, something that soaps always struggle with, Fraternity Row was fun, the baby switch story was generally watchable and full of interesting people. I do think there were mistakes, but nothing serious.

I think it was Schnessel's death which seemed to lurch the show in a more hazy and unpalatable direction.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

It's too bad Cathy's character seemed to become defined solely by her role in the Viki/Joe story.

I wonder what they were considering when casting Harmon. A return to the days of the show's relevancy campaigns? Or just because she was a lead on another show and they were poaching from NBC at the time?