AMC Tribute Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I was randomly on Broadway actor Chuck Wagner's youtube page looking at some Sondheim clips and came across a clip he posted as a vet who gives Janet and Trevor the bad news about Harold... (he also has some clips of an early 80s recurring role he had on GH as comic relief character Randall on the channel and as an Elvis impersonator on a more recent ATWT)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DySZhcIudEc&feature=plcp

• Members

The newer shows on the air have had less of a problem picking up large audiences quickly, not only because people really like to know everything about everybody right off the bat, but because the improvement and growth that these shows have demonstrated over past years is incredible, and audiences have responded appreciatively.

One show that is really enjoying a great deal of success is ABC's All My Children. This show has blessed its network since the day it first aired on January 4, 1970. It had a good deal of very stiff competition from those ever-popular "oldies," but because of its quality and the ability to deal strongly and openly with subjects that had previously been only hinted at on other shows, All My Children became not only a solid hit but a bit of a trendsetter. Now it is fairly commonplace for soaps to deal much more squarely with current topics of interest and importance, such as drugs, politics, ecology, abortion, etc. And this trend seems to please audiences very much. As a rule, most audiences don't appreciate being treated like shallow individuals with doses of a false world of "coffee-klatches" and 'back-fence gossip." There's a real world out there, and daytime TV has really begun to reflect it!

All My Children is written by the renowned Agnes Nixon. The show has a wonderful production crew and an able and handsome cast. Let me introduce you, or perhaps reintroduce you, to some of the people who make this show an obvious winner!

The day I came to the ABC studio on Manhattan's West Side was not really typical of most. The cast and crew had been working on a much heavier schedule for the past number of weeks due to the upcoming presidential election. (The networks assign most of their studio space to such coverage.) Each day the cast and crew had to tape extra shows in advance, which more than doubled their work.

I couldn't have wanted to start the day with two more delightful people than Eileen Letchworth (Margo Flax) and John Devlin (Jason Maxwell). Eileen is a very striking woman with an absolutely delicious sense of humor. When she reminded me that she is the mother of a 23-year-old son, I let out an audible gasp because she really doesn't look much older than that herself! Eileen, who has been on the show since June of this year, is extremely popular around the set, as most people with a good off-camera sense of humor are. She is an avid needlepoint artist and has recently completed some needlepoint chairs which her husband, Paul Larson, helped her put together. Eileen was thrilled with the fact that her husband (who is an actor) is going to be doing two shows at Chicago's prestigious Goodman Theater but a little sad at the thought of them being separated.

John Devlin, a very handsome and amiable bachelor, is a relative newcomer to All My Children, having joined the cast in August. John has an impressive list of acting credits to his name. Recently on Broadway, he was seen in "Vivat, Vivat Regina!" with Claire Bloom and Eileen Atkins, "Billy," the musical version of "Billy Budd" and "The Unknown Soldier and His Wife." Not so long ago, John had the good fortune to be sent to Europe for a cosmetics commercial. It was his first trip abroad, and he was able to travel through the south of France, Amsterdam and England. Nice work, if you can get it! He has been a resident of New York City for ten years and at the moment, is into guitar playing and gymnastics.

I stepped aside while the show's director was cueing the actors and giving them a few notes. But as soon as I got the chance, I went over to chat with Mary Fickett. Mary, who plays Ruth Brent, is one of the most charming women you could want to meet. Theatre buffs will remember that it was Mary Fickett who did the nothing-less-than-brilliant job of creating the role of Eleanor Roosevelt on Broadway in "Sunrise at Campobello." It must have been a very able make-up man to change Mary's appearance so greatly because face-to-face, she is absolutely lovely.

Mary, who has just recently separated from her husband, James Congden, is the mother of two lovely children. Bronwyn, 7, and Kenyon, 3. Over the summer she spent a wonderful vacation with the children on Cape Cod, in a house which she described as "a doll's house."

Another woman of great charm, with such a warm and quiet manner is Fran Heflin (Mona Kane). Fran, a charter member of the cast, is an actress of fine ability. We spoke for a while about her trip to Barbados last March and a trip she took to London a year ago. Fran has three children whom she loves very deeply, Jonathan, Nora and Mady. Jonathan is directing his second film in Hollywood and Nora was in the revival of "The Crucible" at Lincoln Center.

Fran, as you may know, is the sister of actor Van Heflin who died so tragically last year. Van Heflin certainly gave us some of our finest moments in films, and now we are lucky enough to have Fran give us some wonderful moments on television. Quite some family!

One of the handsomest men I have ever met in my travels around the sets of daytime television shows is Ray MacDonnell, who plays Dr. Joe Martin. Ray has a terrific air of virility and gentility, which just happens to be a terrific combination (not to forget great looks!) The popular actor mentioned that he travels in each day from upstate New York. It's amazing how the actors on the soaps can even breathe let alone act during an 8:00 AM rehearsal - and put a two hour commute on top of that!

A great surprise for me on this day was meeting, or rather re-meeting, Susan Blanchard (Mary Kennicott). It seems that the very lovely Susan Blanchard and I were school mates some blankety-blank years ago. Don't get the impression that either of us is old, but I hate to give away secrets! One secret that I will give away is that I did do some acting years ago, and Susan and I met when we were with the American Shakespeare Festival in Stratford, Connecticut.

I certainly remember Susan as being one of the prettiest girls in the class. Over that summer we both received a really good education in classical acting which prepared us to do most everything in the theater.

One slightly depressing part of the day was when I went up to talk to little Matthew Anton, the precious little boy who plays Ted. Matthew, who is 8 years old but told me he thinks he looks five, is playing a little guy who fell out of a tree and sustained heavy injuries on the show. He is in a hospital bed, with a genuine cast and gory-looking injuries supplied by the make-up department. I think that their medical consultant must be a genius, because his injuries looked more real than some injuries I've seen!

I asked Matthew whether his mother or father were actors, and he let me know that he "was the only actors in the family." During his off-camera hours, Matthew Anton attends P.S. 166 on Manattan's Upper West Side. I got a chance to speak to Matthew's dad who feels that if his son is missing a few days of school work, he surely is getting a pretty full education learning things around the set of All My Children.

Without a doubt, one of the nicest guys I've met in a long time is Charles Frank (Jeff Martin).

Charles and his wife, Alma, had a terrific vacation in France last summer. Alma lived there at one time but it was all very new to Charles - Paris won his over! They visited with Alma's father in Paris, and then they went on to the south of France.

Although it hasn't been a part of our lives as long as many other soaps, All My Children is gaining stature very quickly. Some shows of late haven't made it, but this show seems to be holding on strong.

- RONNI WARREN ASHCROFT

• Members

HamiltonBernique posted a bunch of clips from the Erica/Jeremy relationship, and I just really don't see the appeal there at all. I didn't think they had any chemistry, and I didn't think he was all that attractive. Plus the whole chaste monk thing was just odd.