AMC Tribute Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Watching the first anniversary episode for the first time and I was so surprised to see some Mark/Erica flashbacks, and a scrap of when he learned he was her brother. Mark LaMura looked so exotic and he had a real edge. I also thought there was some serious chemistry with Susan in that scene. Now I'm kind of sorry they made them brother and sister...

Seeing Ruth go on about that house not being home is bitterly ironic, as MF's Ruth only made a handful of appearances in that house.

Awful hair on Daisy.

Did Dixie just lose her accent overnight or was it gradually phased out?

• Members

After MANY attempts and creating a new youtube channel, I uploaded from video tapes I traded for as a teen, the Feb 15 1980 AMC, the first episode of Palmer's infamous Masquerade Ball. It's a great episode--they rented out and shot it mainly in some East Coast manor.

Anyway this is my first time trying to upload anything, and it took about 7 hours on my crappy computer once I found out how to make it work, so I haven't checked the full episode but it seems to have worked. I tried to upload it in a higher quality setting but 480 was the best I could find.

This party is often talked about and seems virtually non existant out there so I felt it should be the first thing to try. I also have the next two episodes in the party from Feb 18-19, as well as a May 28th episode from the same year that I've digitized from video. If there's interest in this I'll work on uploading those three as well but it may not be till the weekend.

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Members

You know I don't remember Louis Edmonds being on AMC as late as 1993--I can't say I remember seeing him at all and I started watching very late '91... Weird! (I don't think

Which special do you mean? The first one is from 1990--before the new house...

Dixie's accent faded from what I've seen, though fairly quickly

You know I watched from late '91 on, and the ONLY time I remember seeing Langley on the show was in '95 for the 25th Anniversary week when he told Myrtle that Verla was his daughter--nothing from '93

• Members

How do you mean? Frankly, while I think letting some characters leave was a mistake, the show was overpopulated--I'm not sure a void really felt needed to be filled in many cases. You did later get the whole Marricks, etc, but I assume you mean more around 89-90.

(I have a random question about that clip from '89--the infamous Eric the Clown story. I know and have seen much of it, but have no idea how it ended. Did he reconcile with Eerica and then move away? I know the whole clown thing was never brought up later with the Richard Fields story or Eric's death--prob for the best)

• Members

The 1995 anniversary.

I mean I'm not sure if they ever really managed to recapture the feel the show had or the strong cast of characters it had once they started letting so many longtime actors leave. Some, like Donna, or Benny, I would say had probably reached the end, but others, like Mark or Ellen, or even Ross, it makes little sense to me, and you end up with Pine Valley seeming like a bit of a void, mostly carried along by OTT stories, and starting to suffer noticeable by the mid-90s. There didn't seem to be a lot of very popular, long-term, malleable characters created after those years. You mostly had people who were overused and burnt out after a brief time (Maria, Noah, et al).

I think he got Enchantment shares from her and then sold them to Adam or some other enemy, horribly betraying her, before skipping town.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Ah did you mean the primetime special or one of the episodes from the Anniversary week? :P (Sorry for all the questions).

I think that's fair evebn if, being a big fan of early 90s AMC I don't fully agree, but I know some on here do. At the same time I've read some online people who felt the same about 80s AMC in editorials of the time compared to 70s, etc--I'm not sure if it coulde have been avoided if that makes sense (AMC did shoot steadily right to a very strong 2nd ratings point with the changes, although ratings don't always mean much). It did still have a good sense of community I felt, and I think characters like Kendall, the Marricks, etc, were strong and memorable for the most part--even to a lesser degree the Dhillons, the Kiefers, etc etc (I was going to say the Santos but they got annoying fas, it's true). Certainly I think to list 1989 or 90 as the beginning of the end is overly simplistic and dramatic, but that's IMHO.

I also think a number of characters (like Maria) should have had shorter shelf lives but that doesn't make me think the initial conception of their character was flawed--I think sometimes that's true of a lot of soaps, and as I believe Noone said, she felt they had done everything they could with Ellen and didn't feel like hanging around being a tentpole style character--fair enough.

• Members

Just finished watching the 1980 episode. Phoebe looked great. I did not realize Edna was on the show already by this point. And Brooke's voice sounds different, higher. Which Tara was this and why is Phoebe so snippy at her? I always thought the actress who played Myra was underrated, she had such expressive eyes and could really bring the whole gothic vibe, which is probably why the cast her in the Dark Shadows remake. There's a community feel with lots of various interaction and relationships that we don't really see anymore on soaps. Palmer and Cliff pointing out Daisy's scarf was a great cliffhanger.

Edited by ghfan89