AMC Tribute Thread

• Members

Yeah, from The Practice and I guess Ally McBeal too, i never watched that show. She also played Ophelia opposite Campbell Scott in a TV movie version of Hamlet with Roscoe Lee Browne as Polonius and fellow AMC alum Roger G. Smith as Laertes. Lisa did a wonderful documentary on the late actress Beah Richards.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm watching the 12/19/86 episode and I can't believe all the beautiful music they used for the Cliff/Nina scenes, stuff I rarely hear on soaps, ever! Barefoot in the Park, An Unmarried Woman (one of the most underrated movie themes ever). The scenes where they're goofing around in the park are so much fun. It's nice to see a side of this couple - or any soap couple - which isn't all angst and regret and mistakes.

This is the second Christmas where Joe and Ruth talk about what failures their sons are. Who said they were a happy family?

They seemed to make the outfits for Myra, Natalie, and Julie out of the same material. Natalie and Myra are backup for Julie's Solid Gold dancer.

What was Adam blackmailing Natalie over?

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Around that era AMC used a lot of movie music--I don't know if the other soaps did as well or if ABC somehow had the rights to a mvie library--in one of the Paley Center Agnes Nixon interview someone in the audience mentions the movie themes, obviously the most obvious example was Halloween for Erica trying to break Jeremy out of prison.

• Members

Yes, there was a real effort made, with these songs - they really helped add to the setting, especially the scene where he got her the emerald ring. The songs were a little overused, but still refreshing compared to the whole trend at that time of a supercouple needing their own theme.

The way Palmer looks at Daisy is such pure love - I have not seen that on any soap in a long, long time.

• Members

I didn't realize Lauren Holly was on AMC for as long as she was (about three full years). I guess Dixie filled the void, but it seems like most of AMC's young heroines in the late 80's were all gone by 1990, just leaving Dixie and a few others who didn't seem very popular, like Lainie.

I didn't know the show was still doing Brooke/Tom by late 1986. Tom's hair looks awful. Brooke seems to have inherited Devon's quasi-mullet, although she pulls it off.

Erica's hair and dress at the Nina/Cliff 86 wedding are shockingly awful - she looks like a home ec tribute to the Statue of Liberty.

• Members

How I HATED Brian Green as the recast Brian back at the time. He actually doesn't grate on me as much now, but... I didn't remember that they briefly flirted with Edmund/Dixie--odd. (When did SoapNet air this pop up video style episode?)

I forgot about this ad campaign

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYRRjeVcapY&feature=g-all-u&context=G2566c5bFAAAAAAAAAAA

• Members

Watching the 1995 Anniversary clips makes me miss Mary Fickett's Ruth even more. She brought so much compassion and sympathy to the role. I think so many people forgot how imperfect Ruth was in terms of her life's experience. She made so many mistakes as a mother, as a wife (both times)... but because of those mistakes, she was able to look past the other's sins, for which others in the community would have vilified you for.

All those women, many of whom committed the same or worst indiscretions as Erica, turned their backs on her. Ruth, despite not being Erica's biggest fan from her teenage years stayed behind.... knowing no one should be alone, or without a friend, in the Martin abode.

Oh man, I miss Pine Valley.