AMC Tribute Thread

• Members

It's weird how, in the January 6 episode, Michael Brainerd's Joey is being so goofy, a little similar to RPG's take on the character (although nowhere near as hammy or tic-laden). He's so believable as the bratty little brother.

Those flashbacks of "scary" Eddie Dorrance kind of cracked me up. Based on his other soaps it's tough for me to see him as a villain.

I know that Dixie loved Will, but wasn't she on very bad terms with him when he died? Why was Janet such a trauma to her for so many years? Wasn't a part of her relieved Will was gone?

How far did the Janet/Tad thing go?

Edited by CarlD2

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Definitely not, it's just weird how they would go on about Janet as her worst nightmare, etc.

That scene with Billy Clyde and the machine gun is so hilariously WTF. 1989-1990 seems like such a weird period for the show.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

I don't think it was weird. Dixie loved Will a lot, and Janet brutally murdered him.

As for Janet and Tad: I believe Janet (when she was still 'Jane') worked as an accountant for Orsini. She developed a crush on Tad, and she flirted with him, ect. It didn't last long, if my memory is correct.

Edited by Pine Charles

• Members

I guess in the context of soaps, where so many insane things happen, and are forgotten, it's strange to me that it was still brought up so often, especially since the show had made Will into the evil of evils and Janet seemed more sympathetic.

This episode also has a flashback to when Jeff proposed to Mary. That must have been 1973, 1974? Is that episode out there? Was it ever on WOST?

I loved seeing the brief moment from Erica's disco. Phoebe and Langley dancing the night away while Charles and Mona sedately stroll.

I think I asked this years ago but don't remember the answer. Did Kate Collins ever do Mirror Janet?

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Oh yes! She invented mirror Janet.

I don't know if that Jeff/Mary episode was on WoST, Eric will remember. But WoST did have a partial early seventies episode in color.

Yeah, I love that disco clip and I think the original music played was Staying Alive. Would love to see them grooving to the real thing. Erica kills me with the disco whistle. Eric, are you listening our local disco expert? What was the deal with disco whistles, how did they become a thing?

Do forgive me if I mix anything up in reference to the anniversary episodes because I haven't fully rewatched yet, I'm working from memory... 17 years ago! wacko.png I got the AMC coffee table book as a gag gift from a friend for Christmas, can you believe?? I guess I had it all of ten days when the first anniversary episode aired.

• Members

I think I first read that book a few months after it came out - I got it at the library. That was my only real window into AMC, along with a VHS weddings tape. It's such a great book. That seems like a whole other universe, doesn't it?

Was this Langley's last episode? In that last bit he seemed a little envious of Verla laugh.png

Yeah. That's the January 6 episode. It's around 24 minutes in. At first I thought the snow was part of another flashback!

I'm trying to remember when that fox hunt story was. Was that when Alex Hunter was killed?

• Members

At least later in the episode the Mary/Jeff scene had some dialogue (not sure why they showed the scene with and without dialogue but who cares). The way he looks at her, with such starry-eyed devotion, I can kind of see why he was the only Jeff fans liked. I also wonder how much real life feelings between the actors were bleeding into the scene.

Wow there's a Paul/Anne clip too. Wasn't expecting that.

What a feast this must have been for viewers back then.

I can't even remember what they did for the 30th anniversary.

• Members

I think this was his last appearance. I remember seeing ol' Lang another random time before this and I honestly that may have been in '92 or something and we made a big deal about seeing him. I just remember that he was in a turtleneck and blazer and he had gained weight, or at least looked fuller in the face. When I saw him on that Shelley Taylor Morgan/Michael Logan E! show he was rather thin, I think that's when he was sick. They talked about his Nobody Cares About Langley album. tongue.png

• Members

With AMC and OLTL both, after their 25ths I tend to confuse the anniversary specials with the ten thousandth episode specials and the like. They had some slogan for thirty, or was it 35, and the three-zero/five was displayed in their graphics, like when giving the next day preview.

Edmund gave the poem on one occasion and I want to say that was the thirtieth anniversary or the ten thousandth episode.

• Members

Was that when they had that Crystal Ball (or whatever it was called) for a few years?

When I first got into Dark Shadows, one of the books on the show mentioned Louis being on AMC. At the time I assumed he must have a big role, but now I realize by then he barely featured.