AMC Tribute Thread

• Members

Did Phil come back after this? I thought he was gone by this time.

I was doing the same thing in the other thread in the videobash session. Imagine how much ABC would make if they released all this stuff - we'd probably be up all night. I tried to space this out but didn't last a week.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It really is a full on valentine to fans--the way they don't even try to explain who everyone is in fact but just assume long term fans will know is something I kinda respect--that together with the Burnett primetime episode showed how well regarded the soap really was--and I don't think ever quite was again. And yes, there is a ton of heart. I still often saw glimmers of that I guess, especially compared to some other soaps, but a big part of that is nostalgia for when I first started watching and the history I knew. AMC really was a soap (like, of course many others) around families and generations when it was at its best. And I do think that even compared to many other soaps, the appeal of it at its height was really more about hanging out with these characters than wacky plot twists and shocks.

• Members

Not to the best of my knowledge--nothing pre the 1978 wedding and those 70-71 B&W kinescopes has popped up. WOST had some good episodes from around '81 though...

I believe Dixie always felt that she kinda let Will down, that there could have been some way to save him. Anyway, I think in situations like that people often blame themselves.

• Members

Hrmm is that the colour episode there's like 4 minutes of on youtube?? (And now I can't find the link...) Jeff Mary seemed to really be a big deal at the time, it would be nice to see more.

I've never got the disco whistle thing ;) I know in the early disco days if a man had a whistle it usuallyw as meant to be an indication he was gay and on the prowl (maybe cuz he was "bloawing?" but by 1980 or whenver Pine Valley finally got the disco thing it had all become fairly mainstream kitsch).

(And that's a great gag gift!:P )

I must find that album...

Yes, I mentioned earlier that clip from around '92 with him--which is interesting because at the time I really didn't remember seeing him except the 25th week, when Iw as pretty excited to finally see him on screen--but I watched regularly in '92 (I swear I didn't miss an episode, so...)

• Members

The thirtieth was decent, but after the better 20th episode, and the awesome 25th week--and the Daytime to Remembers, etc, it was less exciting. It was at a Crystal Ball--I have it on tape somewhere and believe it might be online, and was just one episode. The 35th was at the hopsital with Agnes for Joe's anniversary or something and was Phoebe's last appearance days before her death :( (I actually remember the OLTL anniversary's much less clearly--I think they did the first one for their 25th as when AMC did their 20th it was still rare for soaps to do that--of course they did have the flashback week when Megan died. I remember thinking as a whoile they were more disappointing--I remember a thirty fifth one I think that had brief musical montages for key characters like Dorian/VIcki but nothing too rare).

• Members

I think this was the first time AMC tried anything gothic, and it seems like it went over really well (I've read articles about people seeing promos for the Cortland stuff and being intrigued and finally getting hooked on AMC) and in some ways seems like the first major change in style the show did to accomodate the hour change a few years before.

I never have got why they aolways returned to the Kennicotts too... There wa Dan who was bad right? And? Mary was very popular but it was quite a few years before...

• Members

I am too though she was more sympathetic (as a B character) later on--helping Brooke with her rape, the lesbian stuff, etc. Devon and Wally are in that 1978 Tom/Erica wedding episode as well.

It's there. I find it amazing that they licensed Muzaky (OK I guess it's meant to be big band or something) versions of Beatles music, of course soaps in the 70s and 80s were much more likely to use "real" recognizable music.

• Members

Phil died in 1981 in (I thought) a plane exploding, something to do with politics... But I think it may have even been off camera when Tara was meant to find him and she shortly moved away with Mr (Jim?) Jefferson. But I think Phil may have been missing for a while in the explosion and then never found--I can't remember. It seemed like they realized that Phil and the endless new Taras were finally played out.