The "I Just Saw...." Movie Review Thread

Vizion

• Members

Odd that one of these doesn't already exist here. Just a thread to discuss movies after you see them, whether just released in theaters or an older movie you wanted to discuss

Winter's Bone (Jennifer Lawrence, John Hawkes) - Really fantastic movie. I enjoyed this a lot more than the film it is constantly being compared to, Frozen River. Jennifer Lawrence is just as great as people claim and seems so authentic (you never feel like she's acting), but my favorite performance in the movie is John Hawkes by far. I was a big advocate for Bale winning the Oscar for The Fighter but I wouldn't have minded a Hawkes upset. I had a few minor issues with the script, but the strong performances and direction completely make up for it. I was engrossed in the film all the way through because I honestly had no idea how it would end and Lawrence's Ree was such a likable and rootable heroine.

4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 days (Anamaria Marinca, Laura Vasiliu, Vlad Ivanov) - One of the best movies I have ever seen. I don't know that a movie has ever kept me on the edge of my seat like this did and with no explosions, car chases, gun fights, or expensive special effects. There was one point in the movie that was just a little too intense for me, I had to pause and take a break because I realized I was holding my breath a little too long. Some people have complained that there's not enough exposition in the film, but I think that is one of the biggest reasons why I found it so compelling - instead of taking the sentimental approach that others would have and trying to prompt manufactured reactions, he took an incredibly raw and cerebral approach that had a much bigger emotional impact. The two leads are superb too.

What about you? Any films you've seen lately that you want to discuss or review?

When I have more energy, I'll post about the insanely overrated and campy Black Swan and how The Wrestler is such a superior film that it is astonishing. :P

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh I've seen Little Children. I made the mistake of reading the book first, so I had some issues with Kate Winslet's performance (and especially that gawd-awful and irritating voiceover narration), but JEH was quite good.

• Members

I just watched Victor Sjöström's THE PHANTOM CARRIAGE (1921) for the first time on YouTube. For a silent and almost two hour film, the movie practically flies by before you know it. I strongly urge people to watch this classic Supernatural/semi-horror/gothic film. So awesome and the score is quite good and creepy, at least initially.

• Members

Scream 4.

It was very solid, by far better than 3 and even 2. Not as good as the original. The comedy bits were trying too hard, IMHO. Roberts is far to weak to pull of a leading role, however Hayden rocked her part to perfection. I figured out the killer in 15-20 minutes, and the motive, so i was bummed i was right in the end. It was definatly choppy and i did not like who lived and died. But again, it was solid and id give it a B

• Members

The book doesn't differ that much from the film, but Winslet was just not how I pictured Sarah and Winslet played her rather...lifeless? I mean, in the book, Sarah had a really biting sense of humor and the underlying feeling was that she didn't understand why having children made you a boring adult. Winslet didn't really play the subtext for me, and OMG, the narration made me want to kick somebody. So incredibly irritating!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Copy/pasted from the other thread, in case someone's interested:

Thor:

I went with not very high expectations but was very, very impressed ultimately. The effects were great (if not too much in certain moments) and Chris Hemsworth was not only deliciously handsome but much better in acting than I had thought (afterwards, I realized I knew him from Home & Away). What really surprised me, however, was the humor in the movie, which was unexpectedly great. There were numerous--numerous--occassions where the whole audience just burst out in hysterical bouts of laughter than drowned out at least 3-4 lines that came after. The script actually made sense but the really dramatic moments (arguments, confrontations) were often almost laughable. Almost campy. They saved it, but they came close. But, in general, a very enjoyable experience. The ending? It felt somewhat abrupt. Just the way they cut it, something was too jarring. But, the real ending? Greatness. If you go see it, make sure you sit till after the closing credits end--because that's when the cliffhanger scene occurs! ;)

And, did I mention how incredibly hot Chris Hemsworth is?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The King's Speech

Everything I expected it to be, and more. Gorgeous photography and sets, a great performance by Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush, great script. Firth excelled in playing the stuttering realistically and never forgetting the pain behind it, the embarassment. Cried every few minutes or so, watching it. Such brilliance, one of the films you want to rewatch as soon as you see it.

Archived