Canada will most likely see its 4th federal election ins 7 years!

Adam

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly! It makes you question why the Liberals are so eager to go to the polls. Michael Ignatieff has now been leader for almost 2 years and consistently in approval polls runs 3rd behind Harper and Layton in terms of Leaders. The Liberals for all the stuff hey are hurling at the government over ethical abuses cannot seem to crack above 28% in national party support.

My theory: Ignatieff doesn't want to sit in opposition anymore and if he can't win and become PM, he'll move on. A huge wing of the Liberal party wants this as well.

OR

Both the NDP and Liberal party have already worked out a behind the scenes deal to from a coalition, defeat the throne speech (so Harper would not be able to prorogue in that instance) and form a government. Of course this all hinges on BQ propping them up and the Conservatives winning another minority. It will all be very interesting.

• Administrator

I'm Liberal but I have no confidence in Ignatieff. I see no point in having an election until the Liberal have a great chance of winning. I'm just glad the Conservative party isn't as bad as the American Conservatives.

• Members

Bush and Harper actually didn't get along all that well. Their relationship wasn't as strained as Bush and Chretien's was, but there was some difference of opinions on artic sovereignty, oil exploration in the great lakes Obama and Harper actually get along reasonably well considering they come from opposite sides of the political spectrum.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Harper's going to win - there was never any doubt of that. And it looks like he will get a majority win. What does this mean? Should I be worried? LOL

But look at that, the rise of the NDP! Iggy is getting his ass kicked! I'm a Liberal guy but he's got to go. Dude cannot win.

• Members

Not surprised about Harper winning. But, can someone from Canada explain how the NDP do so well? Liberals & Bloc Q got destroyed. Could the NDP be the new opposition party or is this going to be like what happened in Britain with the Liberal Democrats?

• Members

Historic night in Canadian politics, WOW! Yes the Conservatives win their elusive majority, a comfortable majority at what, but that's not the real story tonight.

1. The New Democratic Party has become the official opposition for the first time eclipsing their previous best by 60 seats! (44 vs 104). Their base now is in Quebec, a province where just 7 years ago they didn't even receive 5% of the popular vote.

2. The Liberal Party suffers their worst defeat ever and Michael Ignatieff loses his own seat. This could very well spell the end for the Liberal party as we know it. Just look at this: in Ontario (Canada's most populous province) the Liberal Party was able to secure 3 consecutive majority governments in the 1990's-2000's. In 2000 they held 101 of 103 seats there, and tonight.... they win just 11 out of 106. Ouch!

3. The Bloc Quebecois, a party determined to promote Quebec as an independent country has after 20 years lost its grip on Quebec being reduced from 47 of Quebec's 75 seats to less than 5, and its own leader lost his seat and has stepped down as leader.

4. The Green Party has elected its first MP in history, its leader Elizabeth May.

What a night for Canada.

Archived